Hot Tub Hens on the Hasty Bake

cowgirl

I brined some game hens in a mixture of kosher salt, turbinado sugar, pepper corns, onion, garlic, a kaskaskian pepper and bay leaves..

006-3-1.jpg

I rubbed the hens with butter and sprinked them with Little Louies Seasoned Garlic Salt with Pepper and a bit of Soileaus sent to me by Sparky (thank you again!)

015-2-1.jpg

added some rice with morels and a block of spam..

036-4-1.jpg

082-1.jpg

the spam with a brown sugar cayenne whiskey glaze

050-1.jpg

121-1.jpg

Loved the Little Louies and Soileaus on the birds!!
They came out nice and moist too.

140-1.jpg

Thanks for looking!

TentHunter

I love those. There's a lot of rustic appeal to the whole meal!

When you do the rice, 1) are you using regular ratio of 1 part rice to 2 parts water? 2) Do you boil it for 5 minutes before putting it on the smoker, or just put it straight on for a set time & temp?

sparky

wow, nice meal jeanie. i love the first shot. looks like the birds are lying in the hot tub. how cool.

Rip

Jeanie, I should know better than to read your posts first thing in the morning...makes me too hungry :) this looks awesome!

cowgirl

Thank you Cliff, Sparky, Rip and Pete!!

Cliff I use twice the amount of liquid to rice. Usually use chicken stock. This time I used an Uncle Ben's rice mix.. it had some seasonings included. I just added some of my morels.
I didn't cover the rice at all, just put it into the cooker and waited for the rice to absorb the stock. Then fluffed it with a fork, removed it from the heat and then covered the dish with foil while the birds were resting.
The rice took about 30 minutes total. It was on the bottom rack close to the hot coals.
(hope that makes sense) :)

Thanks again!!

cowgirl

Thank you Hog Smoker and Dan! :)
Doug these were some of my dried morels. I just have a few left and you're right, I've been squirreling them away. lol Thanks!

Koolranch

I too love the first picture. What kind of smoker is that? Thanks fir sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koolranch

Well disregard my "what kind of smoker" question. After reading your blog it was suddenly staring me in the face. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom