My first Tri Tip Ever

Smokin Don

Here are some photos of my first ever beef Tri Tip, Santa Maria style, the seasoning being equal parts of coarse salt, groung black pepper, dried parsley, & dried garlic flakes.
I trimmed some of the fat on the Tri Tip, seasoned it up good, wrapped in saran wrap & in the fridge until ready to cook. I would have preferred to let it marinade overnight but it was in for a little over 5 hrs. I was going to rely on Big Poppa’s, from pelletsmoking.com, method. Smoke at 275 deg. until an IT of 142 deg then sear on a hot grill for 2 min a side. About 4:00 I mixed up some mac & cheese. I used 2 cups penne, cooked then added ½ can Campbells cheddar cheese soup, a couple hand full’s of Italian shredded cheese, some liquid from cooking the pasta & some half & half fat free cream & placed in a casserole dish. Later I added shredded cheddar to the top & some Panko bread crumbs over that. I took the Tri Tip from the fridge to rest at room temp. I preheated my Traeger to 300 deg Placed the roast directly on the grill, fat cap down, w/ temp probe inserted at 5 pm. I was figuring just over an hr for the roast so at 5:15 I put the mac & cheese in a 350 deg oven uncovered. At 6:00 I turned the oven to 170 deg to hold the mac & cheese. I preheated my Weber Q100 to sear the roast. After 1 ½ hrs. the roast was at 142 deg IT so pulled it & seared on the Weber 2 min on each side. I tented the roast w/foil for 10 min. before slicing & serving w/mac & cheese & a mixed Romaine salad my wife had prepared. On the salad we had Italian dressing & some shaved parmesan cheese.

The roast was very tender & tasty but a little too done for me. You can see some smoke penetration in the photo. I was running my Traeger at 250 deg since I know my grill temp runs about 25 deg hotter than the digital readout. Next time I think I would run it at 275deg to let the roast come up to temp a little quicker & pull it to sear when IT is 135 deg. For me the Tri Tip was the best cut of beef I have had in a long time. I used oak pellets since it is traditionaly done with red oak, but the other day I received 40 lb. of BBQ Delight pellets from BP I am anxious to try on some ribs & pulled pork. Smokin Don

Seasoned

P6293196.jpg

Smoked

P6293197.jpg

Seared

P6293198.jpg

Sliced

P6293199.jpg

Plated

P6293202.jpg

TentHunter

Wow that is one thick Tri Tip Don. It looks delicious!

I know how hard it is finding them around here. Congrats on finally finding one.

Cliff

Rip

Looks great Don! Tri-Tip is a cut which is better when not cooked towards the rare end of doneness.

CarterQ

Not a bad first attempt at all, I always pull at 135-140 and then do the sear. Tri tip is better if done a little more than a typical steak. With a little tweaking you will have it just the way you like.

Top Bottom