"Built Like A Tank"

INsmoker

Many posts refer this way to the MAK. Is it in reference to the 2 STAR, 1 STAR or both?
The gauge of metal and weight seem to be about aveage for both PGs/
Mike

MAK DADDY

OK I am obviously biased but here we go :)
The MAK is designed and built with precision equipment and highly talented people, I think that is what makes the difference!
We start with innovative designs that not only look good but more importantly are strong and will last a long time. The parts are all drawn in a 3D modeling software that can be studied and perfected, then downloaded to the machines for processing.
We use CNC lasers, turret punches, NT controlled press brakes etc. that all hold amazing tolerances. Add the highly skilled hand TIG welding, pressed in hardware, aircraft rivet assembly, quality electrical components, all stainless steel fasteners etc. and you have one well built pit. We believe in attention to detail, that's what's in our DNA. The little things while not as important in the beginning are huge down the road for the grill owners.
So it's not so much about the gauge of metal but the way it is designed and fabricated with precision and innovation.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Mike you are going crazy with this! Let me put you to rest.....I talked to you twice yesterday and hope that I cleared up some stuff...The reason why people think it is built like a tank is because like MAK Daddy said design and execution and no corners cut.

Chili Head

Mike where are you from ? Indiana?
If so I'm not far from you. I'm in east central Illinois right over the boarder. If you want you can come check mine out, eat some food off of it and enjoy a couple barley malts too. If you order a MAK from Big Poppa you won't be disappointed. I had the exact same concerns as you and don't regret my purchase a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scooter

Have you ever went up to something made out of steel, made a fist and knocked on it to see how solid it felt/sounded? When you handle a 2 Star, move it around, open the lid and knock on the body with your fist, you will come away thinking...damn..this thing is built like a tank.
I've handled and knocked on several other competitors pits (Some cheaper, some more expensive) and have not come away thinking that they were built like tanks. On the contrary, I came away thinking I would be needing to replace the grill in a matter of years. I know for a fact that my MAK will be handed down through my will to some lucky beneficiary. :)

scooter

Just remembered something about MAK construction after reading Sparky's booboo thread. A friend of mine owns several MAKs and one of his 2 Stars was involved in some sort of a photo shoot or something on a hill. His young son was positioning it at the top and lost control of it.....down the hill it came end over end all the way down to the bottom....Can you just imagine what that must have looked like!?! A MAK 2 Star General tumbling end over end down a hill??!!
My friend said that when he uprighted it, the only damage was the warming tray lid was warped from how it landed on the way down. Other than that (the heat shield, drip pan, grate etc. inside were pretty jumbled up and had to be repositioned) it started right up and has been working fine ever since!!!
Now that's built like a tank baby! :)

Last edited:

smokerjoe

I tried to stand mine up on my own, didn't lock the wheels and dropped it pretty good on the concrete and no damage at all.

sparky

ouchy

P7090122.jpg

:(

Mr Hickory

Yes these really are tank cookers. Word to the wise though, when closing the hatch on the tank (the lid) and your fingers are a little greasy from tasting the vittles that have been cooking all day, DON'T try and catch the lid when the handle slips out of your fingers. When that sucker lands on your fingers, it really does feel like a tank hatch landing on them.

Needless to say the phrase "can swear like a sailor" comes to mind to describe me running around the yard with my dogs chasing me thinking it was a game...:;)

MAK DADDY

Great visual of the dogs chasing you around, he's either wanting to play or has bbq in his hand he is hiding from us :)

Candy Sue

I hauled my MAK 2 star to Las Vegas for the Hardware Show. Due to bad loading, the trailer's spare tire put pressure on the wheels on the left side, which broke away. Less than $2 in parts had the wheels as good as new.

MAK DADDY

And you have the old caster support design :) We redesigned that area after those first 25 units to make it even stronger.
Thanks for doing that Candy Sue! Hope the show was a great success for you, sorry we couldn't make it.

Mr Hickory

Great visual of the dogs chasing you around, he's either wanting to play or has bbq in his hand he is hiding from us :)

Ohh, believe me, they have figured out good stuff comes from the big smoking thing. They are my secondary pellet boss alarm. It goes off, then they start running around barking at me becasue something good is coming soon.:)

Top Bottom