Cheddarwurst Fattie!

TentHunter

I was looking for something different for our July 4th cookout. I thought of those cheddarwurst smoked sausages with cheese in them and then light came on - :eek: - I bet that'd be good in a fattie!

I mixed up 2 lbs of homemade Kielbasa using ground pork, my spice cure mix & a little cold water. It was bagged up and put in the fridge for a few hours to cure.
CWFATTY1.JPG

The Kielbasa & a layer of sharp cheddar were rolled up into a bacon weave.
CWFATTY2.JPG

I mixed some Oak & Black Walnut pellets for the smoke. This combo gives a hickory-like smoke flavor. I sprinkled some Little Louie's w/Black pepper on the fattie & put it on to smoke for a bit, then bumped the temp up to 325-350° until it reached an I.T. of 165°.
CWFATTY3.JPG

It sure looked tasty when we pulled it off the grill...
CWFATTY4.JPG

Sliced and cheese oozing...
CWFATTY5.JPG

It was served on toasted buns with some Bavarian style kraut.
CWFATTY6.JPG

They were juicy, smoky and the sharpness of the cheddar with the Kielbasa flavor was really tasty! The bacon just made it even better. Everybody agreed this was a definite keeper and we'll be doing these again!

Thanks!

CarterQ

That looks awesome! Love the Kielbasa, cheddar, bacon and a little kraut, definitely an explosion of flavors going on there!

txpgapro

OMG! That looks so good my mouth is watering! Great pics, you're giving Shelly a little competition. I've never done a fatty. Got to try a simple recipe first and then graduate up.

Top Bottom