#520 has a new home

El Guapo

After a typical SNAFU with UPS, I had to go to their freight distribution center to pick up my new smoker. I could have had them deliver it on Monday, but I really wanted to get it this weekend. So, at 9:00 last night, I pulled in the driveway with a pallet in the back of my truck and started unloading and putting her together.

It was easy to put together, but you want to make sure you have plenty of light. Finding the screw holes in the dark can be frustrating. I put it together in my driveway, with light from my floods and the open garage, but the shadows made it challenging at times.

Cranked it up to season it at 10:30 and drank a few brews watching it do it's thing.

I am heading to the lake today, so I won't get to cook on it until tomorrow at the earliest. The burning question is what to cook first. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about ribs, but since I am cooking ribs for the family at the lake tonight, I have to come up with something different. It will just be me and my wife. I am thinking about some yard birds.

CarterQ

Awesome El Guapo! Yardbird on the MAK is always great. Take some pics of that first cook, we love seeing new pellet cookers get their wings!

bbqslayer

What I did with my Traeger to learn where the hot and cold spots were is a couple pounds of bacon at 400 degrees. I completely covered the cooking surface. Pork fat rules! BLT's rocked.

El Guapo

I cooked two birds last night. No pics. I used the Yard Bird rub, and they came out perfect. Tonight I am using leftovers to make BBQ chicken nachos. BBQ sauce, chips, chicken and jalapeños. Quick and easy. I'll report back on results.

Top Bottom