Apple Pie

Deb

Today is Kevin's birthday (maybe he will show back up on the forum since he knows I'm talking about him). Every year I ask him about a month before what he want's for a cake. This year he said apple pie -- so here is his b-day "cake"

Since he said "everyone" was coming over today I had no idea how many kids would show up so I figured I better make a big pie. I got out the 12" pie pan, it's huge.

I started out by making a pie crust (I use the cooks illustrated vodka recipe which uses 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening). (no pics)

I boiled down some apple cider with a cinnamon stick for some added flavor.
photo-24-1.jpg

Then I peeled and sliced 9 lbs of apples. Tossed them with some flour, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Then added the boiled down cider. Placed in the bottom pie shell

photo-27.jpg

Topped with the top crust and then was curious as to how much it weighed, just over 7 lbs (the pan is pretty light).
photo-30.jpg

Into the pellet grill that had been preheated to high - it was right around 425
photo-32.jpg

had to wrap the edges with foil , they were browning too fast
photo-24-2.jpg

the finished pie

photo-25-1.jpg

Kevin's plate (his friend made a chocolate cake)
photo-24-4.jpg

CarterQ

Good looking pie, love the "K" on the crust. My mom always made pies for my birthday "cake" as well, I was never a big cake fan.

Chili Head

I've yet to cook a pie on #390 but posts like these make me want too. That pie looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACW3

Deb,
You do some amazing baking on your pellet grill. Another winner from Deb! One of these days I am going to have to try my hand at baking on my grill. This would be one of my "weaknesses" in cooking -- "baking". Just one more thing to master.

Art

ACW3

While we are on the subject of "Apple Pie", I just had to share this photo of some North Carolina "Apple Pie". In thinking about this, the apples could be smoked on a pellet grill during the making of this fine elixir.

IMG_6668.jpg

Art

Top Bottom