Looking at the Mak 1. How many slabs will it hold?

jnstrom

I have a couple questions about the MAK 1.

1. How many ribs slabs will it accomidate. (baby and St. Loius)?
2. I usaually smoke for 2 hours (apprx) then cook with out smoke for the rest of the time. I use Apple mostly. How strong is the pellet smoke (stronger since it smokes the whole time or about the same?) I dont like to over smoke.

Thanks!

sparky

the mak 1 star will hold 8 racks of baby backs flat (w/ upper full grate).

P6190016.jpg

P6190025.jpg

P6190035.jpg

top and bottom ribs cook the same. no need to rotate. :cool:

Last edited:

jnstrom

Thanks for the pics! This helps me out emensly. Im hungry and thirsty just looking at the them!

Do you think 12 slabs is the max? Your bottom pic with the rib rack has 8 with an open top gril. Do you think it is possible or not worth overloading.

Thanks

sparky

i like to cook my ribs flat. i cook ribs 4 different ways more or less. my dry and cajun are no FL (foil love, ask rip if you don't understand, he knows). i also don't like my ribs touching each other in a rib rack. in my mak rib racks i like to cook 5 w/ a space between each one. their magic. ;)

P6190018.jpg

see. :cool:

Rip

Yeah, I prefer them flat too. When using FL, I put the meat side up or down depending on the sauce/rub...meat side down can produce intense flavors but requires a finish without foil if you are looking for certain exterior sauce/rub levels. If you want the convienience/moisture of FL, but are looking for a crispier exterior, meat side up.

Uh, Spark, your MAK is drooling again :)

jnstrom

Thanks, that makes alot of sense. I will need to experiment. I make my own rub and love it. Is there a type that you prefer? I do love to experiment! PS Im drooling too!!!

Top Bottom