Keep your cover secure

TTNuge

Just wanted to give you all a reminder to keep your cover on and to secure it to the grill if you are expecting any inclement weather. Last night we had a pretty nasty storm roll through, 2" of rain coming down sideways in a short period of time. I used my grill yesterday and put it away like usual by putting my cover on once it was cool. Well unfortunately the wind was so strong that the cover blew off and ended up in the yard against the neighbor's fence. No big deal, it's happened before, at least it wasn't a tornado and the cover was easily found.

But here's where it gets weird. The storm rolled through at about 5am this morning. When I finished my last cook I knew the hopper was getting low on pellets and wouldn't run for much longer without being refilled. I went and retrieved my cover at around 9am this morning and brought it out on to the deck to put on the grill.

Well to my surprise the grill was running! At first I thought maybe it was just the fan but then I noticed smoke coming out from it. I took a look at the Pellet Boss and noticed that all 3 temp probes were reading temps even though there were no probes plugged in. The hopper had just a few pellets remaining but based on what was in there to begin with I'd imagine it was running for 30 mins or less, probably less. And to top it all off, the switch on the grill was in the Off position. I ended up unplugging the grill to turn it off.

So obviously with the rain and strong winds the Pellet Boss got soaked pretty good with rain once the cover flew off. Hopefully there are no long term issues but I probably won't know for a few days. I plan on removing the Pellet Boss today and letting it air out. It may stop today's cook but hopefully it won't be anything more than a minor setback.

So just a word of advice, keep those covers on. Use a bungee cord or a quick clamp or something to keep the cover attached to the grill especially in high winds and bad weather. I know I've read of others doing things like this but always dismissed it as not necessary, well not anymore. Electronics and water just don't mix and it's just a matter of life when you're dealing with such awesome but complicated machines.

Trent

TTNuge

As a testament to how well these grills are built I decided to throw the Pellet Boss back into the grill today. Fired it up and made some wonderful planked salmon for the family. Didn't miss a beat, no negative effects and the Remote Boss as well as a temp probe in Slot 1 worked to perfection.

Now if I wouldn't have dropped 2 of the 4 screws holding the Pellet Boss in then I'd be in real good shape. Of course each one fell through the deck board cracks to be lost in the evergreen bushes below. I need me some magnetic allen wrenches!

Trent

MAK DADDY

Not good, I never cover my grill but then again we don't have to much sideways rain here just vertical and consistent LOL. Glad you were able to get it figured out! Shoot me an email and I will send you a couple more screws, it would not help to have a magnetic driver as the screws are stainless steel.

Top Bottom