How many of you that live

Big Poppa

Administrator
How many of you that live in four seasons climate cook year round?

What adjustments do you make?

Do your neighbors think you have fallen and hit your head?

Make sure you send us your wildest cooking in weather shots as the seasons change!

Pascale

I love to BBQ in the snow! There's just something about standing outside in the brisk air with the smell of burning wood. It feels natural...My neighbor is my actually my father, and he enjoys it too. We are outdoorsmen and cannot get enough of being outside, even on the coldest of days.

squirtthecat

Ice Station Zebra

This was my Traeger the first time I got to use it..

DSC00216.JPG

And this is what the Maverick saw.

DSC00179.JPG

I did a couple beer can chickens to get a feel for the pit, and then a pork butt.

The next morning, when I went to check on the butt, this is what my weather station read:

(I didn't grab the column headings, but the -19 is the windchill)
Fullscreen%20capture%20192010%2081430%20AM.jpg

I did a lot of single digit cooks that first week. Then I went out and bought a welding blanket to help insulate it a bit.

squirtthecat

Rainy Day & Gray

I'm getting ready to smoke a small store bought ham as we speak..

untitled.JPG

Time to break out the umbrella again!

Deb

This will be my first winter with a pellet grill but I will use it all year round. In the past I have used the grill and Bradley all year.

I'm quite sure my neighbors think I have fallen and hit my head ;) . Not only do I cook outside in the winter, it's not unusual to see me out there at 6am throwing something on - peppers to roast, sausage for a recipe later, or whatever.

I'll be buying a welding blanket soon to use on the Traeger. Squirt gave me a link to a decent priced one.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Wow Squirt Great Shots! You are a trooper...Pat Great that you can cook with your dad!

Being in the california desert I couldnt read a weather map if you put a gun to my head....

Phrett Bender

I cook all year long, -20° up to 100°, in any type of weather. I'm in the process of building a cooking area with ta bit of shelter and a 10' X 16' enclosed area for storage, food prep, and staying dry/warm/bug free/etc. as conditions merit. I'm waiting on the insulated cover for my GMG and if that doesn't happen in the next month I'll be getting a welding blanket to reduce pellet use during the cold weather.

HPIM1471.jpg

Bear

I cook year round too. My cookers are under a carport, so what's falling from above isn't a problem. It's on the south side of the house, so it keeps me out of the North wind.

My biggest issue with winter cooking is the short days. I don't have good lighting where I cook. I say every year that I'm gonna fix that. Maybe this is the year.....

HOT DOG

Sense Squirt an I are only about 15mi. apart his pictures tell the my same story. Nothing keeps a Pellethead from his smoker !!! ;)
mysmiley-2-1.png

TentHunter

The four seasons of BBQ

Springtime: is good! Memorial day starts the BBQ season. I start doing the summer time fair (Ribs & such).

Summertime: is time to haul out the big smoker & stock up on pork shoulders, ribs & briskets... 4th of July, Family gatherings, Church picnic, Marching Band Cookout, Labor Day... lots of big BBQ cooks happening!

Fall: is the best! When cool weather hits something in me awakens. Its time to smoke things I can't in the heat of summer; like the cheese I did two weekends ago (to be posted on BigPoppaSmokers soon). For thanksgiving I'll be smoking a 15-16 lb bird. I love the Fall!

Winter: NOTHING chases away the Winter blahs like shoveling the snow away & firing up that grill to cook up a hearty dish of chili or other Winter favorite!

LTS

My neighbors think I have lost it a long time ago " He takes pictures of his food" Ya I BBQ year round, cant let a little snow or cold stop you

LTS

SisInLaw

I hail from Costa Mesa, Cali. It's 70 degrees out right now. Next week it might get really cold and dip to 62 degrees or so and I'll have to bust out a sweatshirt. What is that white stuff in those pictures?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Id like to answer but I dont know either...Im in La QUinta ca and it was 80 today...actually it lookks like a blast to cook in that stuff!

Phrett Bender

I enjoy cooking in the snow! Also, you can dress for the cold weather, ever when it gets subzero, but you can't take off enough clothes to stay cool when it hits 95 in the shade!

SmokinMAK

OK you SoCalies - stop rubbing it in! Pounding rain here last night (although In bet MAK Daddy got his ribs off before it started). I gotta get an awning over my deck. Grrrrrr.

Top Bottom