Smoked Oysters 2 Ways

shelly

Whenever I cold smoke salmon to make lox (about every 2-3 weeks), I now include smoked oysters at the same time. I use one quart of shucked oysters.

The salmon cold smokes for 6 hours with the DB set to 160°, using the empty DB as the smoke source. The smoke drops to 80° after traveling through the 25' long flexible vent hose to the food chamber.

I marinate (touch of salt, sweetener, garlic) the oysters for the first 4 hours, and then put them into the pellet grill on a Frogmat for the remaining 2 hours of the 160° cold smoke.

After the two hours, I remove the cold smoking tubing (and the salmon from its food chamber), reinsert the chimney cap and bump the controller temperature to 225°.

At the next 30 minute mark, I applied my tomato based bbq sauce, and again after another 30 minutes (now 3 hours into the cook).

Another one hour at the 225° and I pull the finished bbq oysters.

So 4 hours total--2 hours at 160°, and 2 hours at 225° with sauce applied at 2:30 and 3:00. the final hour sets the sauce.

Interesting final product with very intense layer of flavors--the smoke, the marinade and the sauce. But not for everyone.

P1010385.jpg

P1010387.jpg

My usual smoked oyster cook, done exactly the same with marinade, times and temperatures, is usually without any sauce. This is the preferred way for family and friends.

Here's my smoked oyster sandwich for luncheons.

P1010290.jpg

And for appetizers, I use a crispy fried waffle cut sweet potato and a dab of mayo.

P1010224.jpg

Or just plated for easy finger food.

P1010223.jpg

Shelly

Last edited:

bflodan

I LOVE oysters!!! But Im a little hesitant to smoke them...I Always do them raw....Guess I just gotta try it out and see....Looks interesting..

Dano11

Shelly,
This looks really good. My wife loves oysters, I'm not really big on them but I think I'll give it a try for her!
Thanks for posting this.

Have a great day.

Dano

squirtthecat

NICE! Had quite a few BBQ (cooked over charcoal) oysters in NOLA. I need to give this a try on one of my Pellet Poopers...

Koolranch

Could I hot smoke these and if so what's the difference between the cold smoke and hot smoke. It looks sooo good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shelly

These were hot smoked. But I put them on the grill for the final two hours of my cold smoking the salmon. The grill controller is set to 160°.

Once I finish the cold smoke of the salmon, I bump the temperature up to 225° for another couple of hours to finish smoking the oysters.

Shelly

Top Bottom