Homemade Smoker Box For My MAK

ACW3

Okay, here goes a home brewed version of a smoker box added to my MAK. Ever since I started smoking on my MAK, I started wondering if I could really smoke some homemade sausage “just like NEPAS”. I have been to his house in PA twice now (remember I live in NC) and was thoroughly impressed with all his “toys”. Some guys want to be like Mike, I want to be like Rick! We talked about adding a box to the MAK while I was at the SO in June. I have been mulling over a prototype to test the waters. Today I finally finished my first shot at it. To christen it I even made up 10# of kielbasa from the Rytek Kutas book. They are smoking away while I type.
I decided that instead of making a frame out of wood, I would use some 1/2” PVC piping and make the frame. I used some poster board to cover it and make a door. I had my duck tape out, but decided that since I didn’t install a vent in the top that I would “let it breathe” through the gaps. So far it seems to be working. Here are some construction photos. I would appreciate any and all comments on ways to improve my first go-round. If it works the way I hope it does, I may try to make a better version, unless Bob adds one to his MAK 2 Star option list. Bob’s version would be much better than anything I could manufacture.
My first attempt at a “wire frame” using PVC.
IMG_6676.jpg

Here is the PVC frame in the MAK smoker box.
IMG_6677.jpg

Here is the prototype installed on mt MAK.
IMG_6678.jpg

Some homemade kielbasa to test the smoker.
IMG_6680.jpg

Art

ACW3

My original idea was to make the entire thing out of wood. After thinking about, I decided that I had a little more flexibility by using some better grade PVC. I was able to create a more rigid frame by simply cutting and fitting the necessary pieces. Afterall, this was just to see if and how well it might work. Besides, the PVC and poster board approach was a lot cheaper. I may break out the duck tape and seal the edges to keep more smoke inside. I ended up having to move the kielbasa to the regular part of the grill. I did want to get some sleep last night. As it was, I was up until after 1:00 AM. It is definitely a much slower way to smoke. The heat in the smoker box was not very hot. I may try to smoke some cheese next to see how that works.

Art

TentHunter

Very creative Art, I love it!

It is definitely a much slower way to smoke. The heat in the smoker box was not very hot. I may try to smoke some cheese next to see how that works.

Looks like you were able to create a lower temp smoke for cold smoking. Great Job with it!

For cheese add some shelves of expanded metal or heavy gauge chicken wire, etc. Just don't use Galvanized (poisonous around heat). You ought to be able to smoke a lot of cheese in that! :)

Last edited:

Rip

Very nice Art! (Maybe this will smoke out Bob's plans for a MAK version of this great idea. :) )

steeevj

I have hot-smoked ten pounds of Kielbasa on my MAK 2-star using frogmats; it comes out great if you don't mind the waffle marks! If there was a cold-smoker cabinet option available, I would be so there!

MAK Daddy, help out us sausage-heads!

ACW3

I appreciate the responses I have received thus far. From the comments and lessons learned thus far, I am already thinking about redoing the design slightly. Since I did not glue everything together (only a couple of pieces) I plan to add the capability to have several shelves to hold cooling racks. This will give me a lot of room to smoke cheese, nuts, Chex Mix, etc. Looks like I may need to get some more frogmats, too. One step at a time. If I am missing anything (other than construction materials) let me know and I will give it due consideration.

Art

MAK DADDY

We are working on it along with everything else, that all flame zone pan has been a pain! LOL.
Mine is not nearly that tall though, what is a useful height without a weight problem...

ACW3

After looking at the Nepas collection of smokers, I decided that 30" tall should be the maximum for the MAK. This would allow me to hang sausage or have two or three shelves for smoking those things that didn't/couldn't be hung. I can see that weight could be a problem if it is too large. That was part of what drove the 30" max height. I'm sure there may be other trade-offs as well. I'm still thinking about it.

Art

nepas

What Art said.

On venting i would make adjustable vent on the side. This would keep the sausage from getting black rain on it if the vent was on top. Maybe make a max smoke weight at 10-15 lbs so the combined cabinet and meat weight does not tip your MAK over or cause damage or buckling to the main housing or cold box area.

Ok back to my corner

MAK DADDY

Maybe Aluminum is the way to go to keep the weight down. The racks would need to be light too, at that height you could put a lot of racks in but I don't think it will hold the weight. You will probably have to settle for more like 24" tall, test test test :).

smoker pete

Maybe Aluminum is the way to go to keep the weight down. The racks would need to be light too, at that height you could put a lot of racks in but I don't think it will hold the weight. You will probably have to settle for more like 24" tall, test test test :).

What if the Smoker Box also came with a tripod to offset the weight? That would allow for a taller box to accommodate sausages, etc.

ACW3

Hmmm. A set of tall jack stands under the smoking box. Another idea to ponder. Keep those thoughts coming. You never know when something new might just appear.

Art

squirtthecat

Just some fold down telescoping 'kick stands' would help.. Maybe angled out a bit to provide front-to-back support as well. (in case the wind is hitting it head on)

Top Bottom