Country Style Ribs

CarterQ

Every time I go to my local supermarket they have a huge amount of Country Style ribs, they must be really popular around here as they have them with bone, boneless, plain and pre seasoned with two different rubs. I always avoid them, my mom and dad used to make them and they weren't the greatest thing I remember from the family recipe book (She boiled them till tender and then my dad would finish them off on the grill with some homemade sauce). So today I broke down decided to give them another try on the smoker. Here we go-

Started with the boneless variety

932632f2.jpg

Hit it with the Yardbird and let it sit for couple hours in the fridge

28ac8ef5.jpg

Onto the MAK running at 225

061432a1.jpg

After about 4 hours

3d158922.jpg

Tossed some corn on for the last hour or so of the cook

34fdb3c6.jpg

Hit them with a little blend of Blues Hog and Big Bob Gibson Red

b3547cc5.jpg

Looks ready to me

5aa6acd1.jpg

Off the grill

f76b0282.jpg

Corn is done

d6dfa75b.jpg

Served up with the corn and a little summer salad

d0b6a0eb.jpg

These came out pretty good, definitely much better than the ones from my youth! They had great flavor and were very tender. I would like to play with these some more but it was a nice change up.

TentHunter

It all looks good Tom!

So how was that red sweet corn?

It's really funny that you happened to post that this weekend because while camping, also this weekend, I was restocking my tackle box and in a bag of fishing lures was a bag of red corn seed I'd purchased this past spring with the intent of planting it, but forgot I even bought it! :p

ACW3

I remember when my parents used to boil them and then fire up the old Weber Kettle and grill them. With a lot of sauce they weren't too bad. Since getting my MAK, I have cooked them a couple of times. With all that fat content, they sure don't dry out while smoking them. Now, I mostly buy them on special and then use them to make sausage.

That corn looked interesting. Not quite like Indian corn since it is edible (by humans, that is).

Art

shelly

The country ribs are cut from the pork shoulder so they benefit from a low and slow smoke just as you did.

Your photo essay was a great visual read as well.

Shelly

CarterQ

Thanks for all the compliments! The only thing I would like to try if I do these again would be to maybe foil at some point to increase the moisture.

So how was that red sweet corn?

It wasn't bad, it had a more earthy flavor to it than your typical sweet corn. I took my son shopping and he saw the red corn and made up his mind that that was what we were getting to go with dinner. It was fun husking them right before serving and having everyone do a double take!

Top Bottom