Stick Burner thinking about trying a Pellet Smoker

JRD

Hey all,

As the title suggests I am a stick burner that is thinking about converting to a Pellet Smoker. I like the idea of being able to set the temp and have it regulated for hours. Something that is very difficult to do with a Stick Burner. I have a Char Griller Smoking Pro and it turn out some amazing BBQ.

Does anyone know if Home Depot or Menards or Target carry Pellet Smokers?

I don't have a lot of money to invest in a smoker so I am trying to get the most bang for the buck.

Thanks for the help!
John

steeevj

I've never seen any pellet smokers at Home Depot or Target (no Menards around here). My local Barbecues Galore carries Traeger grills and pellets, but that is it. If you can afford a MAK or Memphis, you can't go wrong with Big Poppa, though!

Doing long cooks on a MAK is amazingly easy. I just finished a 14-hour smoke (two briskets and a pork butt) and didn't have to fiddle with anything. Just set it up at midnight and go to bed. The bluetooth remote told me when everything was ready.

JRD

Thanks for the info. That sounds like what I am looking for. What should one expect to pay for a good pellet smoker?

Thanks again!
John

steeevj

I don't know about a good pellet smoker, but for a great one, expect to drop about two grand. :)

The Big Poppa Smokers site is where I did my research (along with AmazingRibs). This forum also talks about a lot of different smokers as well. Many people love their Traegers, but the MAK/Memphis crowd is the most rabidly enthusiastic. Most of them seem to have chosen their smokers without actually getting to see one in person, and they all love them! Just hang out here, ask questions, and people more knowledgable than I will be happy to help you out.

SJ

Big Poppa

Administrator
THe Mak One Star is a smokin machine and costs $1299. We are owned by (me) Big Poppa SMokers so we really talk a bunch about other brands but just not where to buy them....thanks!

JRD

THe Mak One Star is a smokin machine and costs $1299. We are owned by (me) Big Poppa SMokers so we really talk a bunch about other brands but just not where to buy them....thanks!

Can I find the MAK here in Wisconsin? (Milwaukee Area)

Thanks!
John

jimsbarbecue

Most MAK grills are shipped. Even in sunny California. Try and find someone near you that has a MAK so you can check it out . Then order from Big Poppa the number one MAK Dealer.

CarterQ

Welcome aboard John and good luck in your search for a cooker. BPS has a great selection if American made pellet cookers. They may seem a little pricey up front, but getting a well engineered solidly built grill is much cheaper in the long run as they will outlast the imported brands.

txpgapro

Welcome. You'll get plenty of straight forward information here. I bought my Memphis Pro sight unseen after asking lots of questions. Give Jessie a call at Big Poppa Smokers. She's a very knowledgable young lady. Heck you can even get some good advice over the phone directly from the manufacturers. Don't bother shopping price, Big Poppa Smokers has the best price, free white glove shipping, great customer service and gets personally involved if you have issues down the road. I was a competition stick burner and still do some but use my Memphis Pro several times a week. I bought the best and am glad I did. You will not be disappointed with a Memphis or MAK. This was one of my best investments ever considering how much time I use it. I haven't used the kitchen oven since I got it. From Apples to Zucchini, the pellet cooker does it all.

Top Bottom