Smoked Sausage & Ceddar Stuffed Cabbage Rolls

TentHunter

The Filling: a pound of fresh homemade Kielbasa, 1/4 lb. Cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup minced onion, 1 cup of cooked rice. This makes enough for 12 Cabbage Rolls.
CWCR01.JPG

Place the filling in a blanched cabbage leaf and roll.
CWCR02.JPG
CWCR03.JPG

The Cabbage rolls were place in a baking dish and topped with butter & black pepper. A pouch of hickory pellets for smoke.
CWCR04.JPG

Put on at about 325-350° for about an hour until the internal temp reached 165°.
CWCR05.JPG

CWCR07.JPG

They were juicy, nicely smoky and full of flavor.
CWCR06.JPG

Thanks for looking. :)

Patrick_CT

Those look awesome with a great color. Do you have a kielbasa recipe? My family loves it and I have not made it yet, but really want to try.

ACW3

Patrick,
It sounds like it may be time for you to invest in the Rytek Kutas book, Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing. I used his kielbasa recipe about a week ago and the kielbasa was killer, after I smoked it with hickory pellets. My family and friends loved it. I am already planning on making some more.

Cliff,
The cabbage rolls look really good. I haven't had them for many, many years. My Mom used to make them periodically, but that was when I was a kid (and that was a long time ago).

Art

shelly

Great looking food. I have always cooked stuffed cabbage rolls in sauce but may have to try your method which had a bolder filling than I have used.

Shelly

TentHunter

I have always cooked stuffed cabbage rolls in sauce but may have to try your method which had a bolder filling than I have used.

You hit the nail on the head, Shelly! :) It was because of the kielbasa & cheddar that chose a simple butter sauce w/black pepper instead of the classic tomato.

It was a really nice change too.

I will post the recipe for the sausage later this evening. I'm also still putting together that Sausage Basics post that was requested (gathering pics, etc. - almost done).

TentHunter

Kielbasa Recipe

Here's the basic Kielbasa recipe as requested. This is my own recipe that I developed after a lot of research & more than a year of tweaking, experimenting & keeping notes as I go. This is a lower salt recipe than most but still chock full of flavor.

Important: BE SURE to know how much meat you have. Weigh it or buy it in a package showing the weight; DON'T guess!!!

Polish Style Kielbasa Recipe

Ingredients - per Lb. of sausage:

- 1 Lb. Ground Meat (Pork, beef or a mixture)

- 3/4 tsp. Salt - pickling, kosher or sea salt (Avoid table salt for sausage making).
- 1/2 tsp. Marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika or Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. Cracked Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp. Yellow Mustard Seed
- Scant 1/8 tsp. Granulated Garlic
- 1/8 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/8 tsp. Nutmeg or Allspice

- 1/8 cup ice water

- 3/16 - 1/5 tsp. Cure #1 (Prague Powder #1) - DO NOT exceed 1 level tsp. per 5 lbs of meat!

Note: Cure #1 is optional (unless you're cold-smoking). It cures & gives the sausage its pink color. When not cold smoking I use 1/8 - 3/16 tsp. per pound of meat just to keep the pink color. If you plan to cold smoke the sausage, you MUST use the cure to prevent botulism!

Directions:

Combine the seasonings & cure#1 with the water and mix well being sure the salt & cure are dissolved. Place the meat in a large enough bowl and pour the mixture over the ground meat and mix as evenly as possible. Cover and place in the refrigerator to keep cold allow to cure for at least an hour or two (longer is better).

CWFATTY1.JPG

Use as bulk sausage or stuff into casings to cook or smoke.

I hope this helps anyone interested in getting into sausage making.

Last edited:
Top Bottom