Wireless Grilling via the Remote Boss

MAK DADDY

Ask your questions about the Remote Boss here if you like and maybe they will help others.

Last edited:

MAK DADDY

Advertised at 300 feet straight site, it works through 4 walls in my house but it will depend on the home construction I'm sure.

TTNuge

Do we lose the ability to monitor a third piece of meat since the transmitter needs to be plugged in or does it have some sort of pass through so we can still plug in a third temp probe?

jimsbarbecue

The transmitter has a plug for the third probe to go in. You can still monitor three temps. Hopfully I can do more testing with the one I got this weekend and up coming week. The set up was easy and once the MAK is turned on you can use either the Pellet Boss on the remote or the Pellet Boss on the MAK .

TTNuge

Thanks Jim, I was hoping that was the case. I was "this close" to testing one myself, had it in my hands but fate had different plans. I saw it had an extra port and was hoping that's what it was for.

MAK DADDY

Nice to hear the programming instructions worked well, I was a little worried about that part of it.
We added a sticker to the Sending unit showing which plug is for the MP and which one is for the grill connection.
We are also now sending a pc of Velcro to attach the sending unit to the grill vs. setting it on top of the hopper in harms way. This also keeps it out of the weather a bit better if you attach it up under the hopper lid by the pellet boss. I would suggest testing the location before attaching the Velcro as the adhesive sticks ridiculously good!

MAK DADDY

All MAK Grills!
For the older models there is a program sequence to update the Pellet Boss control before you can use the Remote Boss, it takes about 5-10 minutes and all the hardware and instructions are included.
We are still working on improving some details of these before we release production with the help of our testers :)

jimsbarbecue

Just to bring this to the surface again. The first remote pellet boss did not have the range I was looking for. From my Garage where I do a lot of work and my office it would drop the signal. Set them back in after talking to Bob about what I was looking for and as usual he took it one step further. It now sports a small antenna on the sending unit and a stub antenna on the remote plus internal changes. The coverage is SO much better then the first go round. Works through double pane windows , walls etc. When you walk out of range it lets you know and when back in range connects right away. I cooked chicken breast last night while watching the game from inside the house while monitoring the grill with the remote next to me. Can we say "Winner Winner Chicken Dinner".

MAK DADDY

Yes, and a big THANK YOU to those of you tested & gave feedback the first go around, I really appreciate it and your patience while we worked out the improvements!
Now it's off to production :)

HoDeDo

So is it actually using "Bluetooth" or some other wireless technology? 300ft is the very outside edge of a Class1 bluetooth, most things, are class 2/3...

Quick bluetooth primer:
Bluetooth has three different defined ranges, based on their output power ratings.
Class 1: Up to 100 mW. Reg, omni antenna will give them a range of about 200ft (300ft max).
Class 2: Up to 2.5 mW. range of about 50ft (100ft max)
Class 3: Up to 1 mW. range of about 15ft - usually advertised at "33ft" max - headsets, etc fall in this catagory.
Most Bluetooth devices will be Class 2 or Class 3.

It was designed as the "personal area network" short range connection.

It would be very interesting if these controllers used Bluetooth vs. some other form of radio, that would be more akin to a cordless phone... like a 1.9 or 2.5 gHz type cordless radio. Details please!!

jimsbarbecue

To me it is like a thermos. I don't know how it works. Just glad it does what I need it to. Bob can chime in but I think it is bluetooth. It works everywhere I need it to. You mentioned a cordless phone. This to me is like a cordless phone. When the cordless phone came out it was a neat option. Now those of us that still have land lines in our homes. There are more cordless then corded phones.

HoDeDo

I'm a telco/wireless engineer by day.... using bluetooth, and the profiles and extensibility of that protocol make for interesting ideas... I wouldnt have expected something as complex in the remote boss... but it would make it flexible for future other uses/enhancements for sure. I figured it was something a little simpler than BT, but I cant wait to hear from Bob.

For example, bluetooth can have 8 devices in a network, and depending on the profile chosen, can provide some filesharing, synchronization... so you push it to another device that has network connectivity, and viola, you look at your 4G Samsung Epic for updates while you are at the golf course, and then just use the remote boss when you get back home and lay down for the afternoon nap after the 19th hole. Bet there's an app for that, if you supply the data to it. Hmmmm.....

Top Bottom