More Practice with venison

383inTheD

Practice, practice, practice ... That's what I keep telling my kids. So it's better to be a good example right?

Here's what I started with ...

Food021.jpg
Food021.jpg

After doing a final cleanup of the meat to remove the silver skin, I mixed up my homemade herb pesto consisting of: 3 sprigs rosemary, 3 cloves garlic, juice of 1/2 lemon, fresh black pepper, salt, and olive oil in the blender. This is a bit on the strong side but is good IMHO.

In the past I've brushed this onto the meat, rolled it and tied it for the grill. This time, I wanted to keep the loin whole so I used the handle of a long spoon to bore out a hole along the length of the loin. I then used my marinade injector to fill the small (about 3/16 inch) hole with the pesto. The marinade injector did not work well with this herb mix. The holes in the syringe kept getting blocked making it difficult to push into the meat. I managed but need to find a better way next time.

Finished by brushing more of the herbs onto the exterior of the meat and then sprinkled with BPS Double Secret Steak seasoning. Here it is just before getting wrapped up ...

Food024.jpg

Onto #383 at 250 with the flame guard removed. I didn't pay attention to time but I think it was about 1.5 hours until the IT hit 140 and then I removed it to rest. Here's how it turned out.

Food033-1.jpg

I also put a couple of carrots brushed with oil onto the MAK to accompany the meat. The day prior I smoked some walnuts while the grill was in smoke mode. I used these to top the wild rice.

Delicious.

The wildcard for me was the raspberry-chocolate smoked sauce in the foreground. It didn't turn out the way I had hoped. In my mind I was thinking more of an adobo type taste but it turned to to be just raspberry-chocolate smoked. It was very good on its own, but not with the meal. Now I need something to put this sauce over ... vanilla ice cream?

Thanks for looking.

Top Bottom