MAK Smoker Side Box Build

nepas

Hows bout some help here.

My old Bradley 4 rack.....Yay/Nay.

Insulated, 1 door, top vent, thermo dial in door. 4 racks. Have to cover the 5" smoke generator hole and cut through the bottom.

DSC01935.jpg

DSC01936.jpg

DSC01929.jpg

OR

BrinkMann.....Yay/Nay

Not insulated 1/2" shorter than the Bradley, Double door, 2 racks, not as heavy, 4 side vents, not as much to cut or patch up.

Just took from box so i dont have vents or door handles on yet.

DSC01937.jpg

DSC01938.jpg

A work in progress.

Last edited:

TentHunter

My vote is for the Brinkman. Insulation isn't as nearly important for cold-smoking and since it's lighter it may be less weight/strain on the MAK. Shelves can always be easily added.

Although with the Bradley is the extra weight may help keep it from blowing over in windy conditions. Speaking of which...

Has anybody thought about how to fasten it to the MAK to prevent it from falling over from wind?

ACW3

Now that the can of worms is really open on adding home-built boxes to our MAKs, I need to ask a question before I try to answer about either of your two choices. How much does each unit weigh? I believe that weight will be and should be a factor.

We certainly don't want to ruin our "good MAKs" just to say that a smoker box can, in fact, be added. My approach was to be a low cost alternative to buying something like a new Bradley. I do like the Brinkman approach, however, as a different low cost alternative. I'm not sure "insulation" is a real requirement for this kind of smoker. I could see the progression being that after adding a cold smoker box to my MAK, I would graduate to something much larger that would no longer fit on my MAK, like a Bradley, or some other homemade cold smoker that would stand alone. Maybe I have already answered my own question. I'd go with the Brinkman.

After all, Rick, isn't it all about the number of toys in the end?

Art

nepas

Dont think i will need any counter balance. So far the whole unit weighs 22 lbs.

Going with the 4 rack facing forward.

DSC01941.jpg

DSC01942.jpg

Screwed aluminum angle to the front and will be held down the same to the base.

Did the same to the rear.

DSC01940.jpg

I have angle around the bottom close to the smoke box sides so the wood does not slide around. Tomorrow i will cut the bottoms.

nepas

After doing some door openings and shuffling around the Brinkmann is junk. Its going back tomorrow.

nepas

I got the side hole of the Bradley sealed with NFS hi heat silicone and screwed down.

DSC01947.jpg

Base and Bradley cut with enough heat flow.

DSC01950.jpg

DSC01949.jpg

Attached to the base front and back. Vent on top secure and moves freely.

DSC01948.jpg

Sitting on my MAK. So far so good.

DSC01951.jpg

Heat shield/drip V-Tray in, Rack and sausage stix to show.

DSC01954.jpg

I'm going to do a few other things like a larger door thermo and some holes that will be in the bottom solid tray.

Have to season it up some yet and do some temp checks before i put the smoke to something.

Last edited:

smoker pete

Can't wait to see the first MAK - Bradley Hybrid in action ... Wonder what kind of temps you'll be getting inside the Bradley?

nepas

You covered the vents on the sides of the main part and the right side of the original smoker box?

No

Only covered the bottom side vents on the smoke box. If you close off the top side vents you will have draw back into the auger channel and hopper box....Not good. The side vents will need a cover and still be able to let heat and smoke escape.

Top Bottom