Just a boulder

squirtthecat

After I drug all of those pork shoulders in last weekend, I tossed a Turkey Boulder on that I picked up at Restaurant Depot. Covered in Carolina Treet and Jan's rub... (what else? :D)

Pulled at 155° and wrapped up tight.

IMGP4277.JPG

Hours later it still scorched my fingers.

IMGP4298.JPG

Sliced up last night for a big pile of turkey sammies in the coming weeks..

20110727183936.jpg

20110727184003.jpg

I bag them up in quart foodsaver bags and pile in the freezer. Easy Peasy and beats the daylights out of $6-7/lb for sliced turkey from the deli.

TTNuge

No doubt about it, I am doing that and probably some roast beef coming up here soon for back to school time. Enough buying that crap at the grocery store for the kids lunches.

squirtthecat

Oh yeah, definitely worth the effort. A turkey boulder and a sirloin basketball will make a month's+ worth of lunch meat... (and you know exactly what is in it)

I toss these on frozen (minus the foil wrap) at 275° and just let them roll until they hit 155°. Some rest time in the FTC takes it up another 10°.

Chili Head

I've been looking for those here for awhile.. No one carries uncooked turkey breast here..
I did find a place that carries them but only during the thanksgiving / christmas holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squirtthecat

GFS Marketplace here in Springpatch can get them. You have to order them, but they usually get them in the next day.
10 pounds each, 2 per case. Usually around $3.50/lb.

There is one in Chambana..

Champaign (502 W. Town Center Blvd.)..................(217) 356-3056

squirtthecat

Still a fair amount of salt, as they are pumped with a solution. I'll look at the other one in the freezer tonight and see what the sodium #s are. These are Jennie O. Normally I get the ones from Perdue foodservice.

Chili Head

I get all my aluminum pans,tin foil ect at GFS. I'll definatly have to check into ordering some.
The one I smoked last year during thanksgiving was the best smoked turkey I have ever had.
Thanks for the tip Squirt!

Last edited:
Top Bottom