Pokey

Pokey

I've been smokin' for years, but have only recently become a pellethead and serious hobbyist at this. I started with a Mirro SmokeHouse that I inherited from my ex- that I used for over 25 years to pre-smoke ribs before finishing them off on the grill. I couldn't really use it as a smoker/cooker because I couldn't control the temperature well enough. I now use it as the rack and cabinet for cold smoking with the A-MAZE-N Smoke generator as the source of smoke. I've got a Traeger Lil Tex (almost Elite) that I got last Father's Day and am enjoying the heck out of. Round it all off with a Weber Genesis Gold grill and a Foodsaver Vacuum sealer, and I've got a lot of toys to play with.

I like to cure salmon to make lox, slow cook in the Traeger (butt, brisket, ribs, fish, poultry, fatties, ABTs), cold smoke lox and cheese.

DW (da wife) is happy to have me contributing food to the table. The little one (teenager, 14) is a vegan, so she's not interested in much of this. She thinks I should wear a patch to break my addiction to smoking. We have a sailboat, named Pokey since she doesn't go very fast, that we sail in the Long Island Sound. Since this smoking thing is all about cooking slowly, I decided to keep the moniker for this avocation, too.

I also participate in Smoking MeatForums and PelletHeads. Looking forward to learning from you folks. I can use all the help I can get!

TIA (Thanks in advance)

Deb

Welcome Pokey!

There's alot that you could do for the little one on the Traeger! Smoked veggies are awesome.

jimsbarbecue

Welcome The 14 year old could make you cook more veggies on the grill. Veggies I think are the biggest flavor improvement when cook on the grill. I am sure you know the requirements for doing this.

Pokey

Welcome The 14 year old could make you cook more veggies on the grill. Veggies I think are the biggest flavor improvement when cook on the grill. I am sure you know the requirements for doing this.

Actually, not really. I think I'm doing pretty well learning about cooking meat, which is my favorite. And I did OK on my first smoke of cheese. But veggies? Not so much. She likes eggplant a lot, especially parmagiana. Maybe if I could do something that would improve that, I could win some brownie points. And she does like cheese, so obviously I could smoke the cheese she puts on her parmagiana.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Pokey pardon the plug but have you seen the video link? Theere are some good vids there...the cook is a hack....hahahah

jimsbarbecue

Check out some of BP's video on cooking veggies. We cook most of ours on grill grates. It is easier to move them around with the grill grate tool. The Vegans I have cooked for will not eat veggies cooked on a grill that had meat on it. Having some grill grates that are just for veggies only should be OK. Eggplant and zucchini are some good thing to grill.

Top Bottom