Big Bob Gibson's bbq chicken and white sauce

LarryF

Butterflied two chickens. Cooked them at 325 for an hour and a half with salt, oil, and fresh black pepper. Pulled off the bbq and duncked in.
2 cups mayo
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup Apple juice
2 tsp horseradish
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne
yumm!
a6fa00d3-a192-fb59.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LarryF

The recipe said 325 for an hour and a half skin side up indirect and then turn over, baste with oil and add pepper, and cook for another hour and a half. I hit an IT of 180 in the first hour and a half. I hit it with oil and pepper at that point. Then I dunked it in the white sauce. It didn't absorb much sauce which I think was the point. Regardless, the chicken was fall off the bone and the white sauce made a good dipping sauce.
I need to figure out what 325 indirect on coals translates to with a pellet cooker.

LarryF

OK. The chicken that I cooked was not like anything I had before. It was awesome. Please share your recipe.

RGrunz

Larry, That's good looking chicken bud. I serve a lot of smoked chicken and I always serve BBG's white bbq sauce on the side along with my other sauces. The women who eat my chicken rave about the white sauce. It's a phenomenon, they are always calling on phone for the recipe, even friends of theirs do. lol

I also use an orange marmalade glaze/sauce that always gets raves.... I think I stole this one from Wolf.... It's awesome.
Here is recipe if you wanna try it
1 - 18 oz Orange Marmalade
1/3 cup - honey
1/3 cup - brown sugar
1/3 cup - Sriracha Sauce (cut in half for your first batch)
Bring to a boil and remove from heat

If I use it as a glaze, I spoon it on and spread it around real thick. I don't apply glaze until the last 15-20 minutes, just enough to set the glaze. It's really great dipping sauce too. And man if you like cold chicken drumsticks, this is the bomb.

I smoke a lot of bone in chicken thighs and drumsticks, just because I like the leftovers (rarely do I have any left though LOL). Another chicken idea is to Spatchcock them and cook them low and slow... they really take the smoke that way...

SisInLaw

Yesterday I spatchcocked a Costco chicken using Wee Willy's White sauce and it's wonderful. My remote thermometer would just NOT work all of a sudden and I had to check using one of those silly stick thermometer thingys. I changed batteries, did everything. So annoying. Anyway it 's juicy and the white sauce flavor is fab. When I get a chance it'll go into the competition forum with side dish.

Top Bottom