My first Spare Ribs

JeffCO

The wife's gone, so I've got an opportunity that I need to take advantage of. ;) A quick trip to Costco for some spares. Here's what I ended up with:

DSCF5346.jpg

Time to trim (Thanks Tent for the How-To):

DSCF5347.jpg

Rubbed up, CYM glue, Memphis Rib Rub on the left and Hot and Spicy Cajun Rub on the Right:

DSCF5348.jpg

On the Traeger, P3 and smoke:

DSCF5350.jpg

Since it's my first time, I'll try something new. Chop up some jalapenos and stir together with some Red Hot Wing Sauce:
DSCF5355.jpg

Closeup of the result:

DSCF5361.jpg

Sauced (I wanted to try with and without sauce, so only half of each rack):
DSCF5372.jpg

Pulled after 25 minutes:

DSCF5376.jpg

Ribs cut:
Top Left is Cajun Rub and Wing Sauce, Top Right is Cajun Rub only
Bottom Left is Rib Rub and Grumpy's Black Label, Bottom Right is Rib Rub only

DSCF5378.jpg

Lessons Learned:

1) Pick a better package of ribs. One rack was thick and meaty while the other was thinner. Obviously, they didn't cook the same. I pulled them at the same time, but I should have pulled the thin ones sooner.

2) Read the labels on your spices. I don't like caraway seeds. The first time I noticed that the Cajun Rub had caraway seeds was my first bite.

3) Chopped jalapenos in wing sauce made a good sauce. Even just 25 minutes on the ribs cooked out most of the heat (which was little disappointing)

4) One of the purposes of this cook was to figure out if I really need foil. The thinner rack was overcooked. Not overly dry, but overcooked. The thicker rack had a few juices dripping out (a rib first for me), but I think was still overcooked. I think foil would have helped here.

5) Even ribs that have lots of room for improvement are far better than any I've had in a restaurant.

Koolranch

They look great. I've tried these but find them really fatty inside. Is this the same as baby back ribs just with extra meat that needs to be trimmed??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TentHunter

Great job with your first ribs from trimming through cooking & flavoring. Keep on experimenting. I like the flavor test you did. It makes me want to try some hot jalapeno buffalo style ribs!

sparky

dude, you hit it out of the park. first time out. i don't think so. 4 different styles your first time. they look great. now do baby backs and give them some FL. use LL w/P and some FL. you and the mrs will be in heaven. fun huh. i like it alot. i have gained 10 pds through since i got my pellet grill. oh well. :(

Last edited:

Spinny

Sparky...ahhahaha! Diddo on the weight gain. My wife has repeatedly commented to friends and family that I'm "fattening her up for the fair". Oh well, life is short...eat good food! :D

Ribs looks excellent JeffCO!

Top Bottom