Rain cover for the MAK

mrbbq

The cover you have should provide good weather resistance. However, if it's really blowing, you might want to further secure it with a bungee cord or two.

SmokinMAK

I just went outside and there was water pooled on my MAK cover (we have had some pretty significant rainfall lately). Took it off and wiped a small amount of moisture off the stainless and the General was ready to go. Opened the hopper cover and the pellets inside were dry with no signs of moisture in the hopper at all.

I think I would probably empty the hopper if I was going to let the MAK sit for more than a week but this is a rig built in Oregon, with an understanding of what wet weather is all about.

jimsbarbecue

Thanks everyone. Just protective of my twins. We use them a lot. #168 Is the one we roll under the covering when we cook in the rain.#86 is the workhorse that gets the most use. It is just surrounded by the upper shelf and tool holder.

MAK DADDY

I just went outside and the water was pooled on my MAK with no cover, lift the lids to drain and light her up :)
OK I am abusive to mine, you really should use your cover!

Good point SmokinMAK on the pellets! Even though the water won't directly get into the hopper, pellets will draw moisture like a sponge and swell. Dump out the pellets for sure if you are going to go more than a week or two without cooking during the wet months. This would be true for all pellet grills.

Another wet weather tip while cooking in the rain, the fan will draw moisture into the fire pot causing more than the usual amount of ash so after long cooks in the rain clean out the fire pot :)

TTNuge

It's raining here today and my poor MAK is sitting without a cover as well. Started raining during last night's Spatchcocked Chicken and didn't let up so I wasn't about to put a cover on a wet grill. Of course with the 45-60 MPH winds they are talking about today I'll be lucky if the whole thing doesn't blow away!

scooter

Another wet weather tip while cooking in the rain, the fan will draw moisture into the fire pot causing more than the usual amount of ash so after long cooks in the rain clean out the fire pot :)

With the only quickly removable firepot in the business (that I know of) there's just no reason not to do this often! I vacuum mine out every Sunday night. Probably doesn't surprise anyone...... :)

mrbbq

Last year, the patio cover we had blew off in a fierce windstorm. Our MAK stood outside unprotected for 5 months, wind, rain, more wind and rain. Sometimes the cover would blow off. Sometimes we'd forget to put the cover back on. Through it all, never a problem with the pellets. Bob is correct in that if you aren't planning on using your pellet grill for a week or more, then it is best to empty the hopper and auger tube of pellets. If you fire it up at least once a week, that will help keep condensation from developing. And, as MAK DADDY has suggested, empty the firepot while you're at it.

Top Bottom