MAK 2 Star -vs- The Cold

cowdog

I know there a lot of very proud MAK owners out there and am turning to you folks for your insight. I am considering the MAK 2 Star and live in Northern Virginia. The winter weather here gets as low as the single digits some nights, and can have several days that linger in the teens. Typically does not stay that cold for an extended period, but has the potential.

How well does the MAK 2 Star handle cold weather? I enjoy grilling during the winter months, as much as I do any other time of the year, and simply want to know if anybody that lives in a similar climate has had trouble cooking at higher temps for searing, etc...

Thanks in advance.

Hobbit

All I can say is that I am in Manassas and have had no problems yet. But my Mak only has been through one winter. Nothing like Snowmagedden of Dec 2009 and Feb 2010. I noted that the feed rate was higher so more pellet consumption but it holds temperatures nicely. Can't wait for much cooler weather to try out some real cold smoking in the box.

FLBentRider

I can't speak to low temps (I'm in Florida) but I know there are members here in Minnesota and Illinois that smoke year round.

cowdog

@Hobbit, I remember that winter very well. I am in Stafford. Did you get your MAK online, or is there a local dealer where I can go check them out in person?

jmeitz

It holds temps well, just burns through more pellets. I would guess double the amount. At least what I experienced when I owned one.

SmokinMAK

You can get a welding blanket which will help the MAK hold the heat in the winter and use less pellets. Only use it for smoking, you DON'T want to use it if you are cranking your MAK to the higher temps.

---
- Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cowdog

Tomc I'm the dealer!

LOL... BP, when I make my purchase, it will be from you. From all the accolades you and your company receive across this forum, I can't think of another place I would order. I actually have a "cart" built on your site ready to go when I am ready to pull the chute. I would simply like to check one out in person before I purchase, but that may not happen. Also, may not be necessary after doing the research.

Thanks to all for the responses.

TTNuge

I live in Minnesota and I use my MAK year round. I do use a welding blanket at times when going low and slow but other than that I don't do a whole lot different. It can take a little bit longer to get up to temp and you might burn more pellets but for me that is a small price to pay. One thing that really helped me this past winter was the addition of the Remote Pellet Boss. Nothing like stepping outside, powering the MAK on, running back inside and setting temp and everything from the comfort of your warm house. You can tell the temp the grill is at from inside without even having to step out in the snow as well as the temp of the meat if you use a probe. I know I have some pictures of the MAK going strong in the snow.

Buffalotom

While we do not get as cold in Oregon as you do, I have smoked in the high 20's with no problem. When I figure out how to post pictures on here I may send the one of smoking on the patio surrounded by snow. Good Times.:)

squirtthecat

Cold/snow? No problems for the MAK..

20110206112131.jpg

20110206112348.jpg

I have a rather 'well seasoned' welding blanket that I cover it with when the cold wind is howling.

sparky

i have used my mak when the weather has been in the teens. no problem. and it doesn't use a bunch more pellets like everyone says they do. they are very good w/ pellets. everyone gives mak a bad name when it come to using pellets. not true. i have cooked a pork butt at 225º for over 18 hours and still have 1/3 of my hopper full. even when it real cold. get a mak. they are great pellet cookers. :)

Top Bottom