poor man's meal

sparky

ya ever been poor? i have been. ya ever just open the frig and find a gourmet meal in there out of nothing. this is like that. some lettuce, some form of sausage, different packages of hot dogs and corn w/ 17th spicy sauce. i can work w/ this. no problem. i wasn't wearing my glasses so i hope the expiration dates were good on the sausage and hot dogs. oh well, well find out tomorrow.

P8130005.jpg

oh ya, thats using the old noggin.

poured some 17th spicy in w/ the corn. cool huh.

P8130014.jpg

thru them on #63 on smoke for 1 hour then to 275 (i love the pellet boss, i would be dangerous if i had a remote).

P8130016.jpg

opps, quality check....

P8130019.jpg

getting yummy.

P8130020.jpg

more quality check. the big sausage is some form of hot pepper sausage. need tums soon.

P8130022.jpg

P8130032.jpg

trimmed corn the old way. cut up one of the hot pepper sausages.

P8130034.jpg

Waa Laa, 5 star poor man's meal ala spark

P8130037.jpg

it was good.... i was still a little hungry, so....

P8130039.jpg

ok, got a full belly now.

jimsbarbecue

Wasn't BBQ formed from cheap cuts? My mother in law (God rest her soul) could feed you with what she found in the fridge. Expiration dates? She would cut the mold off and stiil use bread fruit etc. In her last years we would kid here about it and she was fast to point out no one ever went hungry or died from her cooking.

HoDeDo

Jim, My Greatgrandma was the same way. Everything saved, she washed the ziplocs. We would eat stuff that was trimmed back to fresh :) She also kept a bowl of bacon grease next to the stove... that seasoned the pans, went in just about everything, and she spread it on her toast every morning. She was 101 when she died. I still got handscratched Birthday cards until 96. she had to have 15 great grandkids that I remember (from 6 grandchildren). I wish my girls could have met her (Great-Great Grandma?). They still have Great Grandfathers on Kim's side. and knew thier Great Grandfather from my Dad's side and GGmother from Mom's side. I think there is a huge chasm that will be very hard to cross once that generation is gone. My dad has a few stories, but none like I was able to coax out of the grandparents/great grandparents... I hope I learn as much as they forgot. (They could both do just about anything...) Thanks for triggering the synapses on some old memories!

Top Bottom