Put in a couple of 8 pounders tonight

Chili Head

I've been foaming at the mouth looking at all the great food you all have been putting out and I had to try a porkbutt with CT and one with molasses. Figured I would try something different from the CYM and add a little more flavor. I trimmed most of the fat off these butts and slathered one with mild molasses and one with Carolina treat. I then rubbed one butt with MAKs sweet rub and the other with B&W Meat Co. BBQ rub.

46e1b492-cae1-0b89.jpg

46e1b492-cb15-905d.jpg

46e1b492-cb27-1bef.jpg

46e1b492-cb3e-11f0.jpg

46e1b492-cb4d-dafc.jpg

Tomorrow when these are done they'll be pulled and vac bagged in one pound portions. Today mom had hip replacement surgery, everything went perfectly and she'll be up walking tomorrow. I'm giving half to mom and dad to make life a little easier for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili Head

I gotta tell you.. The molasses creates some really good bark!

46e1b492-86b4-e2bb.jpg

At 13.5 hours we were at temps on both butts.

46e1b492-86fb-b969.jpg

46e1b492-870e-a4db.jpg

I'm going to FTC a couple three hours and pull them.

46e1b492-8750-3877.jpg

From the taste test I sneaked in these turned out very good!

Chili Head

Final results.

46e1b492-b77a-503e.jpg

The molasses smeared butt is outstanding! For me personally this is the best tasting butt I have cooked to date.

The CT smeared butt is very good as well but not as sweet. Both turned out good!

46e1b492-b8fb-5093.jpg

Lunch!
Pulled pork Sammie dusted with soileaus and chips with dip!

46e1b492-b9b2-efd5.jpg

Koolranch

Looks real nice. Do you just let them ride with no mopping? Also what temp did you use? I hope your moms doing well.

---
- Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chili Head

I just let them ride with no mopping. I cooked these on smoke for the first hour then bumped the temp to 250 until they got past 150 then backed the temp down to 225 until done.

Carter13

Thanks for your thoughts on the molasses. I was going to try it next time I do some butts and you just confirmed what I was thinking.

Top Bottom