MAK'd Teriyaki Jerky Nuggets (aka Muebe's Nuggets)

squirtthecat

(back story, there is a guy on the Bradley Smoker forum known as Muebe, and he makes jerky nuggets with lean stew meat, Soy Vay Teriyaki and a shake of Cayenne and some Cure #1 - that's it)

Here's my spin on them.

IMGP4674.JPG

Add about 4 pounds of London Broil. Trim the fat from the edges and cut into nuggets. Maybe 3/4" x 3/4" square.

Everyone goes into the Reveo.. Add almost the entire bottle of sauce (reserve a few ounces for reglazing later), and a heavy Tablespoon each of Slap Ya Momma and the Hawaiian Cajun rub I got from Ka Honu. And a scant tsp of Pink Salt.

I ran it for a 40 minute tumble, but this could be mixed by hand and placed in the fridge for a day or 2 to let the flavors come together.

IMGP4678.JPG

IMGP4687.JPG

It was too late to start a 5 hour smoke, so overnight in the fridge..

--

If these things are half as good as they smell.. Wow.

IMGP4703.JPG

Racked up. I used 3 of my Bradley smoker racks w/ frogmats. These things are sticky!

IMGP4707.JPG

Now here is where I go a totally different direction.. (normally they would get a couple hours of smoke, then placed in a dehydrator for 6 or 7 hours)

IMGP4716.JPG

Propped the lid up to bleed some of the heat out. I ended up adding a foil ball to raise lid lid about 3/4 of an inch.

IMGP4710.JPG

I think this will work. Might have to rotate them around a bit later.

IMGP4713.JPG

I monitored the grate temps with my ET-732, and they stayed just under 180° - which is perfect.

To be continued..

squirtthecat

MAK'd Teriyaki Jerky Nuggets (aka Muebe's Nuggets) cont..

I went out at the 3 hour mark and flipped/rotated the racks around a bit.

With the remaining teriyaki, I reglazed around the 4 hour mark.

IMGP4719.JPG

IMGP4720.JPG

IMGP4722.JPG

I also stacked all 3 racks on top of each other on the 2nd MAK rack. I'll do it like that the next time I make these. There is plenty of room for the lid to clear.

I powered down the Pellet Boss aorund the 4:30 mark. It goes into a 20 minute shutdown w/ the convection fan on turbo. Pulled them off at the 5 hour mark.

Basically, you want them to shrink by half and be firm to the touch.

IMGP4728.JPG

IMGP4733.JPG

Awesome color from the marinade and the billowing Oak smoke.

IMGP4736.JPG

Into a paper bag.

IMGP4738.JPG

And parked in the fridge.. This will help draw out any remaining moisture.

IMGP4742.JPG

I brought them to the office yesterday and put them by our fax machine around 10:30AM. By 2PM..

20110815144547.jpg

They were a hit. A bit on the salty side IMO, so I think I'll cut the Teriyaki down a bit next time, and add some pineapple juice. The Cajun flavors were lost, so I'll omit those.

Well worth the time and effort involved!

Top Bottom