Satay, Nuke Cukes & Indonesian Burgers

383inTheD

Sunday Spice

I’ve wanted to make a peanut dip sauce on my grill ever since I visited Bobby Flay’s Mesa Grill in Vegas. That meal was a nice inspiration above the average Satay dipping sauce. So, I set forth on my adventure to make the best peanut sauce I could. I thought there must be a way to get the smoky love into that sauce somehow.

I thought why not start with the heart of the sauce – by smoking the peanuts and making homemade peanut butter. I used Spanish redskins in the MAK warming box for about 1.5 hours. I then took them off and removed the skins (pain in the a$$) before putting them into the food processor. I added some peanut oil and honey and let the blade fly. I was really pleased with the consistency of the ground nut that resulted.

Meanwhile, I had prepared the base for the sauce out of coconut milk, chicken stock, lime juice, a couple of Thai peppers, and a teaspoon of red curry. This was warming up as the peanuts smoked but then I cranked the dial to 400 to get everything going. I stirred in the peanuts and let it boil for about 15 minutes.

Food024-1-1.jpg

Food031-2.jpg

The sauce reduced to a perfect consistency (not bad for the first time not knowing what I was doing). Once I had the grill grates good and hot, it was time for the chicken satay.

I wanted to have a chicken satay starter but it turned out that became part of the main course. I marinated the satay in a homemade mixture of spices for 16 hours. I kept giving it a swirl to move all the pieces around and make sure all parts are getting the flavors. The satay takes only about 6-7 minutes with the MAK set to 400 using the Grill Grates.

The main course for the evening was Indonesian Pork Burgers. The recipe calls for a flvaroful mayonnaise based spread using basil, green onion, cilantro, and lime juice. I prepared the burgers but substituted ½ the pork with ½ ground turkey. The meat mixture also contains ginger, garlic, fish sauce, peanut butter, ground anise and sriracha.

Food032-1.jpg

I decided to go with a rice vinegar cucumber salad with shallots and a Thai pepper as the side dish.

Food029.jpg

This was an excellent meal. It is very unique and just bursting with flavors. From the peanut sauce and marinated satay to the unique flavors of the Indo burger you just couldn’t stop eating. The Thai peppers in the cucumber laid on some heat and are not for the soft palate. I was surprised how much the vinegar pulled the heat out of the pepper in the 2 hours from prep to dining. I think I would back it off to use a ½ pepper the next time.

I’m glad there are leftovers but I can't wait to make it again …

Rip

Great cook! My wife specifically requested I inquire if you would share specific details of the peanut sauce.

383inTheD

Great cook! My wife specifically requested I inquire if you would share specific details of the peanut sauce.

Certainly! I used the following recipe for the most part (my exceptions noted below). I skipped the salt and made a half recipe. This half recipe made plenty of sauce - about enough for a whole chicken breast.

1 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons red curry paste
1/2 cup chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup chicken stock
1/4 cup palm sugar or brown sugar
2 tablespoons tamarind liquid, or fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon salt

I used fresh lime instead of tamarind. I think it would be interesting to chop some lemon grass and let it stew in the sauce a while.

Good luck

Top Bottom