How to Decide?

Candy Sue

I'm signed up to cook Amelia Island, FL this weekend. It's a 14 hour drive. The cookoff is right on the beach. Looking at weather.com this morning, Irene is expected to hug the east coast of Florida brushing by Amelia Island right smack in the heat of the contest. I've cooked in a hurricane before, but I'd be much more in the weather with my current setup. I'm not real keen to repeat the experience!

I'm prepping like I'm going. Reckon to decide late tomorrow afternoon, because I'll need to leave early Thursday morning. Got any advice?

FLBentRider

A 14 Hour drive to cook in potentially wet conditions doesn't sound like fun to me. It could go either way really though, I am about 4.5 hours south of there.

I've also see where a storm passing by will pull all the moisture from miles around it and it results in great weather.

Although I'm not sure I'd drive that far to take a chance. Keep and eye on the track and the storm size, how far out the winds extend from the center...

squirtthecat

I would be terrified of the storm surge and the surf conditions on the beach..

I'd keep the vehicle full of gas and pointed West in case you have to evac in a hurry!

Candy Sue

Kim just reminded me of 70 mile gusts at Jeff City this spring. At least Amelia Island won't be cold! That's a much nicer picture than I've been seeing. I'll decide tomorrow, but it's looking better!

HoDeDo

Candy Sue, I know you will be in it to win it girl! We've seen nasty weather in North Lil Rock, Jeff City, you name it. One lil old Catagory 2 storm isnt gonna stop you. Now a 14 hour drive, that might stop me LOL

FLBentRider

Looking better, the weather forecast for the weekend is better for Amelia Island that it is for West Palm Beach...

Amelia Island Fri/Sat/Sun rain chances 40/20/20

West Palm Beach 40/30/30

Top Bottom