Recommended upgrades for MAK 2-Star

roburado

So, let's say I, The Noob, order up a 2-Star from BP's store. What upgrades do you recommend that I get when I place the order?

FLBentRider

Frogmats.
Second level rack.
Rib rack.
Grill grates.
pellets.
extra temp probes, if you plan on monitoring multiple roasts.
Cover.

Some of these are in the Big Poppa MAK Pack.

sparky

mine list is a little different than bents.

frogmats
second level rack
grill grates (i love mine)
extra temp probes
extra rubs and sauces
gift certificate to the butcher

i guess it pretty much is the same as bents. well, what he said.

roburado

Cool. Thanks. 95% sure it's going to be the 2-Star.

I think I'll do that full second rack and the rib rack sounds cool. I'll have to investigate that.

I was totally going to outfit myself with rubs and sauces.

Hadn't thought about the extra probes.

I forgot, but how could I? I gotta throw in the MAK griddle!

I recently ordered and received a 2 star. After having for a month or two I would recommend the following (similar to above, but a couple additions at the bottom):

Cover
Frogmats
Second level rack
Rib rack
Grill grates or MAK 2 Star Searing Grate
pellets (I like hickory, oak, cherry and want to order apple)
extra temp probes (MAK M-1 armored probes), if you plan on monitoring multiple roasts.
MAK Bucket for storing each flavor of pellets that you want to keep on hand
BP Double Secret, BP Little Louie's with Pepper, and BP Desert Gold (Great multi purpose seasonings)

Best of Luck and you can't go wrong with a MAK 2 Star as long as you order from BP (Jessie is great!)

roburado

Well, thanks folks! I'm getting pretty much everything suggested. Going with the full second level rack even though I like the 2 half racks. I figure I can just get those later if I prefer. No biggie. Going to hold off on rib rack, though. I think I'm going to try to make ribs for the first time before I get a whole rack for them! Again, I can always order it later. Just trying to get started.

Okay, back to my shopping cart at BPS. Checking out now!

scooter

Going with the 2 half upper racks gives you a full rack or half rack now for less $$$ than buying the full rack now and a half rack later!

Hobbit

I ordered a MAK 2 Star and got the MAK pack from BPS. The extra equipment got me off to a good start and I wouldn't have tried the grill grates and found out how much I like them. I would recommend additional meat probes, the MAK pellet storage boxes, a mix of pellet flavors, and a half rack.

jimsbarbecue

I think we have every option for the MAK. We have one of the first 75 made, when there was not many options except the second grate. As new options came out we added them as the budget allowed. It also gave us time to learn each option as we got it. Or get them all at once and have a " BBQ-palooza"

Patrick_CT

I also agree with the 2 1/2 racks... it gives more flexibility. Cover, Frogmats, extra probe(s) (if money is not an issue get the M1 ones), and plenty of pellets!

BP Double Secret, BP Little Louie's with Pepper, are awesome and i would order extra of the LL w/p to be honest. (i use it all the time now)

For me the buckets are not an issue, I keep the pellets in a storage container and the griddle I am ashamed to say I have not even had a chance to try yet...too busy using it like a smoker still ;) and I have the MAK seat grates, which are great but I may still get a set of grill grates to try.

and did i mention lots of pellets??? Not that it uses a lot, but you will be cooking a lot.

and a good camera ;)

Top Bottom