2011 H.S. Band Cookout - 100+ kids & staff

TentHunter

Yesterday some of us dedicated band parents hosted a cookout for the marching band in celebration of all their hard work getting ready for the football season, which starts tonight.

I'd picked up a 50 lb case of fresh pork shoulder which we took over to some friends' house Wednesday evening to turn into 40 lbs of homemade Kielbasa & Cheddarwurst.

The ladies cut up the taters & shucked all the corn while the men prepped the meat (I got to use my new-to-me 1 h.p. Cabelas commercial meat grinder.)
2011BC01.JPG

We weighed it into 10 lb batches, added the spice/cure mixed in ice water then mixed away.
2011BC02.JPG

Sharp cheddar was mixed into half before stuffing it into casings. We ended up with 20 lbs each: Kielbasa & Cheddarwurst.
2011BC03.JPG

=====================================================

The next morning...

My grills & horizontal smoker were hauled down to the high school for the cookout.

Here's 40 lbs of sausage getting some cold smoke love from a big pouch of black walnut pellets. :) The smell of the Black Walnut smoke was intoxicating!
2011BC04.JPG

About an hour before serving time I cranked up the Stoven pellet grill and started cooking the sausage off while Jeff grilled the Lemon-Lime Chicken Wings on the Weber.

Lunch-time! After marching & practicing all morning, 90+ very hungry students lined up to eat.
2011BC05.JPG

We also served roasted potatoes, sweet corn & some salad (there were a couple vegetarians). In total we fed a little over 100 hungry students, band staff & custodial staff.

I got too much sun on my now sun-burned head :)p LOL), but it was a great time for all and the kids earned it!

A special Thank You to all those who helped.

And Thanks for looking!

Last edited:

TentHunter

I forgot to mention the Stoven got checked out pretty heavily. Practically no one had ever seen a pellet fired cooker before so they were intrigued and impressed with how easy it was to operate a pellet grill.

Last edited:
Top Bottom