Chicken Thigh Dinner

LarryF

I have been messing around with chicken thighs lately. Chicken thighs on my smoker leaves the skin chewy and not very good. So this is what I have come up with. I brush with olive oil and then coat with "magic dust" from "Peace, Love, and Barbecue".
1/2 cup paprika
1/4 cup kosher salt finely ground
1/4 cup sugar (I use Turbanado)
2 Tbs mustard powder
1/4 cup chili powder
1/4 cup cumin
2 Tbs black pepper
1/4 cup granulated garlic
2 Tbs cayenne.

I heat my gas grill up to as hot as it can get. About 675. Sear the skin for about 2 minutes and turn over and sear for another minute. Then put on my Traeger set on smoke (180) until it hits 165.
I can't taste the smoke to much. I am wondering if by searing it first I am inhibiting smoke absorption. Should I try doing a revere sear? Looking for suggestions.

LarryF

a6fa000b-8eb1-2733.jpg
a6fa000b-8ecc-5f50.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Rip

Searing will assuredly prevent smoke absorption...140 degrees (exterior of meat) is the accepted point where smoke absorption ceases. Reverse sear would work. I get good results cooking chicken at 250 to 275 ( depends on my time budget) until 150IT and then bumping the grill temp to ~400 until 165IT (measured at thickest part of the breast.)

LarryF

I will give that a try. Chicken thighs were buy one get one today. Doing a pulled pork tomorrow, but will give it a try on Monday. I love the look and crispiness of the sear, but want to get more smoke flavor in it. Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom