Tri Tip BP Style

CarterQ

Work has been a bear lately with long hours and some unexpected travel so I haven't had a chance to cook much. Things are finally calming down and I was able to get in some smoker time this weekend. I have been wanting to try BP's method of cooking a tri tip @275 up high with no sear so I gave it a whirl-

Start with a nice little tri tip

edd0286f.jpg

Hit it with some Double Secret

d43e6f9e.jpg

On the MAK @275, up on the half rack

9674f132.jpg

While the meat is smoking away, steam a couple of artichokes for about 30 min

43474ea2.jpg

Halve them, clean out the choke, hit them with some Annies Garlic EVOO and Desert Gold

d71cd6cf.jpg

Tri tip done, flipped once halfway through and pulled at 140

8558282e.jpg

While the meats resting crank up the MAK to high and grill the chokes and some garlic bread

eadac37e.jpg

30891e6d.jpg

Slice the meat after a 15 minute rest

558962fb.jpg

Served it up with the wife's Greek style bean salad

33e83192.jpg

This came out perfect and it hit the spot, loved letting the tri tip ride at 275 with no sear.

It was leap of faith as those of us who grew up and live in Central CA are taught at a young age that tri tip must have a sear. This method is wonderful, you have great even color edge to edge and like BP has mentioned you really taste the interaction between the smoke and rub.

ACW3

Carter,
That looks great. I wish we could get tri-tips around here. Everytime I see a tri-tip cooked, I am envious. One of these days....

Art

TentHunter

Looks killer good Tom!

Ever since BP posted the thread with this method, I've been itching to try it. Well, the store is carrying Tri-Tips for Labor Day, so I picked up a few and will be trying it either this evening or tomorrow.

BTW - Do my eyes fool me or is that the full size Flame Zone drip pan you're testing?

cowgirl

Looks great Carter!! Would your Mrs care to share the salad recipe? It looks like something I would like too. :) Thanks!

CarterQ

Thanks for all the nice comments, for those who asked here's the salad recipe-

Greek Bean Salad

2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, drained
2 cucumbers, halved lengthwise and sliced
12 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 ounce) can black olives, drained and chopped
4 ounces crumbled feta cheese (adjust this to taste, we like more cheese in ours)
1/2 cup Italian-style salad dressing
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper

Directions

Combine the beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, red onion, garlic, olives, cheese, salad dressing, lemon juice, garlic salt and pepper. Toss together and refrigerate 2 hours before serving. Serve chilled.

Last edited:
Top Bottom