Shrimp Tacos with Anja's Habenero Lime Cheesecake

Rip

We wanted to do something lighter this weekend and Shrimp Tacos sounded great. Then our dear friends Anja and Dragan texted us about the Habenero Lime Cheesecake they had just made and it sounded awesome.

With all the peppers and tomatoes in the garden right now, I decided to make some salsa to snack on. All the ingredients were minced and then mixed with fresh squeezed lime juice and a little vegetable oil. Then off to the fridge to get happy for a while.
IMG_2540sm.jpg

Next up was making the avacado salsa for the shrimp tacos. The onion, seeded jalapeno, and garlic were chopped and then finely chopped in a food processor. Then the tomatillos, avacados, and salt were added and pulsed until chunky. Sorry, should have gotten a picture of this, but you can see it on the tacos later.
IMG_2543sm.jpg

While both salsa's were melding in the fridge, we started on Anja's Habenero Lime Cheesecake. Anja is renowned for making very light and fluffy cheesecakes (which btw, solves most of my complaints about cheesecake).

The graham cracker crust mixture was browned on the MAK at 325 for ~10 minutes.
IMG_2544sm.jpg

Meanwhile, the filling was mixed, (sour cream, cream cheese, and sugar). As soon as the crust was browned, I cranked up the heat, removed the sear zone cover, and blistered three habeneros. The habeneros were then peeled, deseeded, and then mixed into a paste with sugar. Limes juice, lime zest, eggs, egg yolks, and heavy whipping cream were mixed in a separate bowl, then the habenero mixture was added. Then this mixture was slowly added to the rest of the filling...thoroughly mixing the habenero is essential.

The filling was poured onto the crust and the whole works boated in water on the MAK at 250 for two hours. (until the cheescake mixture is jiggly and starts to pull away from the pan).
IMG_2548sm.jpg

While the cheesecake was cooking, we settled in to enjoy some chips and salsa.
IMG_2547sm.jpg

Once the cheesecake was done it was moved to the fridge to cool and then we began work on the shrimp. The shrimp were peeled, deveined, rinsed, and thrown in a baggie with EVOO, chipotle powder, chile powder, and some Plowboys Jerk. Then cooked on the sear zone at 400. Next the corn tortillos were warmed on the grill and then assembly consisted of the avacado salsa, avacado chunks, a little of the tomato salsa, some corn kernels, and oh yeah, some shrimp!
IMG_2550sm.jpg

The flavors were awesome, the avacado salsa could stand on its own, and we now have a new favorite shrimp seasoning combo!
IMG_2552sm.jpg

After an hour the cheescake was moved to the freezer for an additional hour and then it was time to try it!
IMG_2556sm.jpg

Simply awesome! Extremely light and fluffy, you can see that in the edges from the picture above. It starts off with an unbelieveably light creamy taste and then slowly the heat kicks in and warms your whole mouth. How hot was it? It was not 'feel like your lips were swelling' hot, but it was not mild either. One habenero would be plenty for those who don't like hot peppers...(but then your not making this anyway then, right?)

I liken it to the heat you get from really strong cinnamon. Or the warmth you feel in your mouth and throat while sipping a fine cognac. :D Thanks Anja!

sparky

i was waiting for this one. there are a few meals that i would like to duplicate from this forum. this is one of them. really nice meal. the tacos and dessert are killer my friend. really nice job. :cool:

Rip

Thanks for all the kind words! Anja just texted me and has consented to me posting the details of her recipe, she wanted to give back for all the great ideas this site has provided her and husband Dragan (owners of my first pellet cooker). At work now, then golf, so later I'll get the details added.

ACW3

Rip,
You knocked that meal out-of-the-park! I may actually have to try doing a cheesecake. After seeing Deb's various cheesecakes, and now yours, I may just have to try a recipe I have. Deb, I think I am going to try the Dooley's cheesecake sometime soon.

Art

Chili Head

I'm not a big fan of seafood tacos but i do want to try making halabut tacos sometime. But that cheese cake peaked my interest! I will be trying that soon!

I was just at a store looking at spring pans so I can try a cheese cake. Dang thing was made in china so I left it on the shelf. The search continues..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TentHunter

My wife & daughter really love shrimp tacos, enchiladas, etc. After seeing this I am doing shrimp tacos very, very soon for me as well as them.

I was already wanting to try a pepper cheesecake (after seeing Deb's). Well, Rip, you have officially pushed me over the edge. I will be doing one of these very, very soon as well.

A truly inspiring cook!

Rip

Anja's Habanero Lime Cheesecake

As promised, here's Anja's recipe, my deviations for pellet cooking are marked in red.
There are lots of Habanero Cheesecakes recipies on the net, but Anja's tweaks are what makes this one so light and fluffy!

Anja's Habanero-Lime Cheesecake

Crust
2 packages of graham crackers in processer
1 stick of butter melted
¼ cup sugar

Grease cheesecake pan with butter. Combine cracker crumbs and butter. Place in cheesecake pan. Pack down and cook for 10 min at 325. (browned on MAK at 325, ~12 minutes)

Filling
1 1/3 cup sour cream
20 ounces cream cheese
1 cup sugar
1 fresh juicy lime juice
1 lime zest
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
2 whole eggs
3 egg yolks

Habanero paste:
3 habaneros (roasted skin peeled and seeded)
2 Tablespoons of sugar

Combine sour cream, cream cheese and sugar in mixer and beat til smooth. Make sure you scrape down the sides. In smaller bowl, do the eggs, whipping cream, lime juice, zest.

Roast the habaneros on smoker/open flame. (Roasted on MAK searing zone at 400, just blister the skin so it will peel easily) Peel the skin off and take the seeds out! (you may want to wear latex gloves! I also diced the flesh to make the next step easier) Once you have the habaneros done you want to make a “paste” out of it, add 2 tablespoons of sugar and mash together. Use a mortar (I used the back of a large spoon) to mash the habaneros and the sugar together. Add this mix to the eggs, whipping cream, etc.

Slowly add the liquid (eggs, peppers, etc) into the mixer, a bit at a time, in thirds, to make sure that it is all integrated. Scrape the bowl and mix again. Then pour into the cheesecake pan.

I do a water bath with my cheesecake so that it is fluffier: Sit the cheesecake pan in HOT water and bake it that way. Bake it on 250 degrees for about 90 min and then turn off the oven for a hour and let the cheesecake sit in there in the water bath. (I knew the MAK wouldn't hold heat while off, so I cooked for 2 hours at 250 instead, came out great!) Then put it in the fridge, usually for about 4-6 hours. If rushed, put it in the fridge for about an hour-1.5 hrs and then put it in the freezer for the last hour! (I tried it the freezer way and it worked great) Gives the very cool feeling and then you get the warm feeling. Garnish with a whole habanero and lime slices.

Enjoy!
IMG_2556sm.jpg

Top Bottom