Cast Iron Deep Dish & Thin Crust Wood Fired

bflodan

I got myself a new pizza toy!!

070-1.jpg

Decided to make some Thin Crust Wood Fired and some Chicago Cast Iron Deep Dish. Never used a Cast Iron for a pizza...Thought it would be a good idea!! Started with the Deep Dish because of the longer cooking time..... Fired the MAK to 425 and then built the pizzas...Used pretty basic toppings.... The sauce I used whole San Marzano Tomatoes and seasoned them up then a few pulses in the food processor..

023-4.jpg

025-6.jpg

027-7.jpg

028-7.jpg

029-5.jpg

Onto the Mak..

030-5.jpg

While those where on, I laid my charcoal and preheated the Weber.. It says to add a whole log but I didnt have one...Just added some large chunks of Hickory and a pouch of BBQD Hickory Pellets..

071-1.jpg

073-1.jpg

To be cont....

bflodan

Pizza Cont....

Kept these pretty simple...Didnt want to overload on the first cook...

074.jpg

075.jpg

076-1.jpg

Couldnt believe how hot this thing got!! First pie took about 4min second pie was about 6-7 min..Had to rotate during the cook to try to even them out..

077-1.jpg

078-2.jpg

080-2.jpg

The Chicagos are also ready after about 40 or so min..

033-4.jpg

034-3.jpg

038-3.jpg

041-3.jpg

Both of these styles came out amazing!!! Not bad for the first for both...The Weber will take a little practice because of the heat...You really need to watch it the whole time...Cant wait to try it again..

Deb

Dan those look great!!!!!

I was just looking at that pizza insert last week. It's great to see what it can do. It's nice to see that the first pie got some top heat, that was my concern based on the reviews I read.

CarterQ

Love the deep dish and that pizza oven is way cool, could you taste the wood flavor in the pizza?

bflodan

Dan those look great!!!!!

I was just looking at that pizza insert last week. It's great to see what it can do. It's nice to see that the first pie got some top heat, that was my concern based on the reviews I read.

Yeah Deb, I didnt expect it to get that hot!! Not sure if I put too much wood in but it seemed to work great...I had the stone as close to the front as I could and the wood in the back...The flame was coming up and over from behind...Need to throw a high temp oven therm. in to see how hot it is really getting...

ACW3

This is great! A new way to use my old Weber, that has been collecting dust since I got my MAK. Where did you buy your Weber pizza setup?

Art

bflodan

This is great! A new way to use my old Weber, that has been collecting dust since I got my MAK. Where did you buy your Weber pizza setup?

Art

My wife bought it for me off of amazon.... I think it also has its own website kettlepizza.com

Deb

Yeah Deb, I didnt expect it to get that hot!! Not sure if I put too much wood in but it seemed to work great...I had the stone as close to the front as I could and the wood in the back...The flame was coming up and over from behind...Need to throw a high temp oven therm. in to see how hot it is really getting...

you need an infrared to check the stone temp

I saw some talk of people rigging things (mostly foil) on the top to keep the heat down . Wood fired pizza have low domed ovens so that they cook from the top and bottom.

What type of dough are you using? It might be hot enough for a neapolitan dough

Hobbit

Great looking pizza. I have been wanting to get a pizza stone and try a wood fired oven. Thanks for sharing.

bflodan

you need an infrared to check the stone temp

I saw some talk of people rigging things (mostly foil) on the top to keep the heat down . Wood fired pizza have low domed ovens so that they cook from the top and bottom.

What type of dough are you using? It might be hot enough for a neapolitan dough

I have an infrared but its a cheap one, the temp doesnt go high enough...I usually make my own dough but with the new baby I was looking for quick and easy.... Bought pre-made at whole foods....It is actually pretty good!!

Thanks for all the nice comments!!

Last edited:

Chili Head

Wowsers !! Home run!
I love the way this pizzas look. The charred edges are the best! Well done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom