Wagyu tri-tip on the 1 Star Flame Zone

squirtthecat

A few firsts tonight. First time hands on with Wagyu, first time tri-tip at home, and first time using the 'flame zone' drip pan in my MAK.

Mixed up a Smelly Dalmatian... (equal parts kosher salt, course ground black pepper, and 1/2 part granulated garlic powder)

20110904183249.jpg

Slathered on some Annie's roasted garlic EVOO..

IMGP5597.JPG

The Star of the show:

IMGP5591.JPG

Onto the top rack. This about 45 minutes in.

IMGP5600.JPG

At 50 minutes, we went into Panic mode.. Probe was already reading 130°. What??

Threw some potatoes in a pan on the bottom rack, and fired up the steamer for some garden green beans.

Maverick just kept ticking up to 140°.. I flip-flopped it around a few times. Just to listen to the SIZZLE SIZZLE SIZZLE of the juices bouncing off of the flame zone pan.

Time to pull. I probed with my Thermapen and got 141° to 150°.

IMGP5613.JPG

Tented it and put it the pan in a hot microwave.

Willed the potatoes to finish..

IMGP5617.JPG

And done. (this is my 'flame zone' potato roasting pan :D)

IMGP5621.JPG

Time to slice/plate.

IMGP5624.JPG

All in all, good stuff! I need to work on my timing with this new drip pan, though. It was cooking much faster than I had expected.. I'll have to practice with some burgers and brats, not a $$ hunk of Kobe beef. :cool:

squirtthecat

It was a little on the rare side for MrsSTC. I think when reheated, it will be perfect. Tempted to get my slicer down and shave it nice and thin..

Another forum friend from SoCal is sending me some his favorite Santa Maria rub. I'll use that (and oak) on the other tri-tip in the freezer. This was a blend of Perfect Mix and 100% hickory.

sparky

looks real yummy squirt. nice job. how was the flavor of the meat? like the potato pan w/ the holes in it. :)

squirtthecat

Some 'day after' shots..

Can you say "marbling"?

20110905143711.jpg

20110905143724.jpg

20110905143734.jpg

And into the pot of au jus for the world's most expensive Italian Beef sandwiches.. :cool:

20110905144825.jpg

Top Bottom