Octoberfest brined rotisserie chicken

CarterQ

One of the big things I missed from my gasser days was a rotisserie and this brined chicken recipe that I used to do is one that everyone still requests. I finally got a rotisserie for the Hasty Bake so I thought I would give the old recipe a try.

Started out making a brine of water, salt, and pickling spices. Bring to a boil and let cool. Drop a whole chicken in the cool brine and let it soak for 8-12 hours.

2fea0635.jpg

After the brine, rinse the bird, pat dry and onto the spit

333514ad.jpg

Onto the Hasty Bake burning on lump, placed the bird over the coals and lowered the fire down.

0e270799.jpg

Tossed some maple pellets in to get a nice light smoke

6f3882e6.jpg

After an hour or so of getting dizzy bird looks nice

811bd545.jpg

Let the bird rest

6fb68502.jpg

While the birds resting fire the grill up and toss some veggies coated with Annies and Desert Gold on

df467979.jpg

Looking good

17b17702.jpg

Dinner is served

4f433dfb.jpg

This came out awesome, the Hasty Bake blew away the gasser rotisserie. Being able to lower the fire and cook direct is one of the best features of the HB and this did not dissapoint.

I love my spatchcock chicken but this is pretty darn good too. I don't usually brine but this recipe delivers phenomenal flavor and no matter what cooking method you used it would come out great. Can't wait to spin more meat!

sparky

very cool carter. the chicken and veges look great. i do love how the hasty bake can raise and lower the lump. nice cook. :)

TentHunter

I have been considering the rotisserie attachment for the Weber/Stoven. This makes me want one.

I love the Sugar Maple pellets too. They give off a really nice lighter sweet smoke.

What's in the brine that gives it a brown tint or is that the color of the pot I'm seeing?

shelly

Excellent job. I also love rotisserie cooking. Someone modified his GMG pellet grill to take a rotisserie but that type of modification is way beyond my talents.

I wish that manufacturers of pellet grills would consider it.

I do have several rotisseries for the Weber but, even with a smoke box, it's not the same as cooking over wood lump or pellets.

But I do love my kitchen Ronco Showtime rotisserie but that's another topic.

Shelly

CarterQ

Thanks everyone, definitely a great cooking method.

What's in the brine that gives it a brown tint or is that the color of the pot I'm seeing?

The brown comes from boiling the water, salt, and pickling spices which consist of cinnamon, mustard seed, bay leaves, allspice, dill seed, cloves, ginger, peppercorns, coriander, juniper berries, mace, and cardamom.

This recipe uses a whole 1.5 oz bottle of mixed spice so it is pretty potent but it imparts wonderful flavor down into the meat, every piece was flavorful!

TentHunter

The brown comes from boiling the water, salt, and pickling spices which consist of cinnamon, mustard seed, bay leaves, allspice, dill seed, cloves, ginger, peppercorns, coriander, juniper berries, mace, and cardamom.

This recipe uses a whole 1.5 oz bottle of mixed spice so it is pretty potent but it imparts wonderful flavor down into the meat, every piece was flavorful!

That blend of spices sounds really good especially with the allspice & juniper berries. I've never really been one to brine poultry, but I think I just may have to give this one a try.

Thanks Tom! :)

CarterQ

Here's the brine recipe-

1 gallon of water
1/2 cup pickling spices
1/2 cup kosher or sea salt

In a Dutch oven or stockpot combine the pickling spices, salt and water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Brine covered in the refrigerator 8-12 hours

Last edited:
Top Bottom