Ribs and Stuff

Rip

Relatives came over today, perfect time for mixing in some new things in with tried and true.

First up, ribs four ways. All 6 racks start of with EVOO, Plowboys, cayenne/habanero powder and on to the MAK at 225 for 30 mins then up to 275 for a little less than two hours. These are just about ready for FL. Four with butter and brown sugar and two with homemade hot wing sauce.
IMG_2559sm.jpg

This one just came out of FL, mmmmm, I think it will get JD sauce.
IMG_2563sm.jpg

Two racks get finished with homemade hot wing sauce, two with BBQ sauce, and two with homemade Jack Daniels sauce (mix of Tenthunter and Meathead's recipe's).
IMG_2565sm.jpg

While the ribs were cooking I prepped three experiments. These were inspired by posts from Cowgirl, Chili, Spinny, and others. First up was a pulled pork roll. The filling was shredded cabbage, carrots, pulled pork, and lime juice.
IMG_2561sm.jpg

This mix was rolled up in pie dough and onto the MAK at 400 until brown. These turned out really well (had a little trouble with them sticking to the frog mats) and the only thing missing was a good sweet and sour sauce.
IMG_2567sm.jpg

Next I cooked up some jalapeno's, onions, and garlic and mixed in with the pulled pork and two different cheeses.
IMG_2557sm.jpg

I then placed pie shells in a muffin pan. Six of these were filled with the pulled pork mixture, the other 6 would be dessert. Three shells were dusted with brown sugar and the other three with a brown sugar, cayenne/habanero powder mix. Then they were filled with cherry pie filling and a chocolate truffle placed in the center of each. All twelve were then covered with crust and baked in the MAK at 400.
IMG_2566sm.jpg

Ready to go.
IMG_2571sm.jpg

I was really pleased with how well the pulled pork pie turned out.
IMG_2572sm.jpg

However, the mini cherry pies were the stars of the experiments, even the hot pepper ones were a big hit!
IMG_2573sm.jpg

TentHunter

Rip, my brother, now I've got to cleanup all around my keyboard from all the drool! :p

Look at all those ribs. And the pork pies...

they look melt-in-your-mouth amazing!

CarterQ

I'm with Cliff, that is a beautiful display of the power of pork when in the right hands, and the little chocolate cherry pies to top it all off? Out of bounds! Great cook!

cowdog

That pulled pork pie looks great! As do the ribs and everything else, but the first time I have seen the PPP. Just ate and am getting hungry looking at the pics.

sparky

a really outstanding cook rip. food looks great. love the color on the ribs. nice. how did you like the evoo as clue over mustard? once again, good job partner.

Rip

a really outstanding cook rip. food looks great. love the color on the ribs. nice. how did you like the evoo as clue over mustard? once again, good job partner.

I read somewhere a while back that EVOO was a better solvent than mustard...can't say I've tried both because ah, umm, I'm not a huge mustard fan :( :)

Oh, I totally forgot to mention, one of the JD racks got glazed first with FL juice during the finish, really amped up the flavor, thanks for the idea! (That was the fourth way on the "Ribs 4 ways" :) )

Last edited:

sparky

i do love my mustard on my ribs but this weekend i will give your method a try. sparky/rip ribs coming up. ;)

Top Bottom