Oh RIp? You ready to judge? This weeks contest 9-9

Big Poppa

Administrator
Whoa baby let say goodbye tom summer and knock the socks out of it with some great cooks!

First grand winner winner chicken dinner! 25 store credit to big poppa smokers

Reserve we really call it second place. 15 store credit to big poppa smokers

Third. 10 store credit to big poppa smokers

5 smackers credit to big poppa for all entries

Let's add another 10 bucks credit to the boldest cook! The biggest risk taker. It can be a winning cook too. Just a bump for going for ir

FLBentRider

A Beef Round Sirlion, a little under 11 lbs
DSC_1367.jpg

Keeping it simple - Kosher Salt, Pepper, granulated garlic, and a little cayenne for some kick
DSC_1368.jpg

On to the MAK @225F with Cookingpellets perfect Mix
DSC_1369.jpg

About 7 hours later, I boated it with some Onions, Mushrooms and a generous amount of Merlot. I then covered with foil and back onto the MAK.
DSC_1371.jpg

About 2 hours later, I rested the roast and poured what was left in the pan into a pot on the stove to reduce a bit
DSC_1372.jpg

DSC_1373.jpg

I sliced it and served with the sauce, thickened a little with some cornstarch.
DSC_1374.jpg

DSC_1375.jpg

DSC_1376.jpg

It was excellent. The Bark had excellent bite and the interior was tender and juicy. I started out looking for a Burgundy wine (Beef Burgundy ala MAK was what I wanted to call this), I went with the Merlot ( a 2009 Woodbridge)

Chili Head

Chicken chowder in bread bowls with a cranberry gorgonzola salad and apple dumplings

OK here we go!

This week I did Chicken chowder in a italian bread bowl with a cranberry gorgonzola salad on the side and apple smoked apple dumplings for desert.

First up are the bread bowls.

011-2.jpg

I mixed the ingredients for the dough in the mixer until it all pulled together. Now the hard part..time to knead the dough for 5 minutes by hand.

003-2.jpg

012-2.jpg

Once the dough is smooth put it into a lightly oiled bowl to rise. Be sure to cover the bowl with a damp towel and place the bowl in a warm place. I used the warming spot on my stove for this step.

013-2.jpg

On a baking sheet you're going to sprinkle some corn meal then put your dough on the sheet.

015-2.jpg

Once your dough has risen you're going to punch it down and place it on a cutting board to cut out the portions.

016-2.jpg

019-2.jpg

I put three balls of dough on the baking sheet and three in crocs and let them rise another 30 minutes. Once the dough had risen again they went into the MAK at 400º

020-2.jpg

021-2.jpg

Continued...

Last edited:

Chili Head

Look'n good !!

022-2.jpg

Now there done and on cooling racks.

023-2.jpg

While the bread is cooling I got started on the chowder.

026-2.jpg

I roasted a couple of chickens a couple days ago and used the leftovers to put in the chowder. One bird got MAK's bird rub and the other got a dusting of Tony Chachere's seasoning.

007-2.jpg

008-2.jpg

First off I chopped up 5 pieces of uncooked bacon and cooked it in a pot.

027-2.jpg

Then use the drippings to saute 1/2 cup of chopped onion and 3 cups of diced celery.

028-2.jpg

Once the onion and celery are tender you want to add 4 cups of diced potatoes, 3 cups of chicken stock and 2 cups of diced carrots and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer another 20 minutes.

While thats simmering away, in another pot put in 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, 2 cups of half and half, 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper and 3 cups of diced cooked chicken. I also at this time cooked the rest of the bacon on the MAK to put into the chowder.

031-2.jpg

032-1.jpg

033-2.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

Add your chicken and veggies and broth to the other pot and let it cook on low for another 45 minutes to thicken it up some.

030-1.jpg

034-1.jpg

We're almost done.. Time to get started on the dumplings!

These should be illegal! There that good!

Take 2 granny smith apples and core, peel and cut them up into 16 wedges.
Open 2 cans of cresent roll dough and seperate the triangles. Roll each apple wedge in a cressent roll starting at the smallest end. Pinch the ends to seal the apple in and place it in a baking pan.

036.jpg

Do this for the rest of your apple wedges.

040-1.jpg

For the sauce you need to melt 2 sticks of butter in a sauce pan, add in 1 1/2 cup of white sugar and one teaspoon of ground cinnamon.

038-1.jpg

039-1.jpg

Once the sauce is heated and mixed well pour it over the dumplings.

041.jpg

Now you may be wondering..Chili whats the Mountain Dew for??
Why we're going to pour 12 ounces over the dumplings! We're going to get all jacked up on Mountain Dew!!

042-1.jpg

043.jpg

Into the MAK at 350º

048.jpg

continued...

Chili Head

40 minutes later and the dumplings are ready to come off the MAK.

069.jpg

OH BABY!! Smells like apple pie in the house!

Finally it's time to get it all plated and eat!

Cut out the center of one of the bread bowls but don't cut it all the way to the bottom.

044-1.jpg

045.jpg

Add your chowder to the bowl, sprinkle some bacon on top and save the top you cut off for dipping.

We had a mixed greens salad with gorgonzola cheese, dried cranberries and a raspberry vinaigrette dressing for a side salad. A tall glass of milk to wash it down was in order for this meal as well.

062.jpg

061.jpg

Who wants dessert!!?? :p

Place one or two dumplings on a plate (one would have been enough ;) ). Pair it with 2 scoops of vanilla bean ice cream and drizzle some of the cinnamon sauce over the top.

074.jpg

I am sooo full... :D

The chowder turned out so good and creamy! And the bowls were perfect! Just the right denseness to keep the chowder contained with a thin crispy crust on the outside. The chowder did have a tiny bit of hang time (thats slang for heat for the non pepper eating crowd) on the back of the tounge from the Tony Chacheres seasoning that was rubbed on the chicken a few days ago. That seasoning is great on everything!

The salad was refreshing with the raspberry vinaigrette and the sweetness of the dried cranberries contrasting the sharp, strong and pungent flavor of the Gorgonzola cheese.

The dumplings were the perfect desert for this meal. With it getting colder outside the warm dumpling matched with the cold ice cream was exactly what I needed. I hope you try this dessert atleast, you wont regret it!

Please enjoy!

Last edited:

Patrick_CT

Moose roast, stuffed jalapenos, mashed potatoes and spiced peanuts...

I get a text message from my neighbor saying he has a moose roast that he wants to cook. I tell him I am interested to try so he says, "ok, I will bring it over to see what you can do with it...." I guess I walked right into that one. He gets over and says I have tired 3 so far and they all came out terrible. (crockpot, oven and grill). The challenge was on.

The thing weighed about 3lbs and a quick search on the web said to basically get it to pulling temp. It was 1pm when I got it and it was for dinner..

MAK on at 250 while I prep it. Season it like a normal beef roast. Garlic salt, smoked paprika, black pepper, chipolte flakes, cut some slits and shoved in some garlic cloves. (I guess this may be only normal roast prep for me
I was looking at it and said maybe I should inject it to try to increase the liquid a little. Made some beef broth with chipolte flakes, let it cool and then injected it. Put it on a rack over a metal pan with the left over injection liquid. Probe in and away we go.

DSC09351.jpg

Temp hit 145 around 4:30 so I put it in the metal pan added more beef broth and pepper flakes and covered in foil.

Also put in the other snacks while this was going on.. could not waste pellets by cooking only one thing :)

Added some peanuts. Used the generic fancy peanuts from BJ's and added chili EVOO, chipolte flakes, cayenne pepper, smoked hot paprika, seasoning salt, jalapeno salt and mixed well. Onto a frogmat and in the top shelf for a couple hours. Finsihed, they were hot.. perfect with a cold beer at the campfire after dinner.
DSC09355.jpg

Made stuffed Jalapenos and other hot peppers from the garden (cream cheese, extra sharp cheddar, garlic dude dust piped inside) with bacon on top of course.

DSC09356.jpg

Nest used redskin potatoes to make garlic mashed potatoes. Added butter, garlic salt, milk, Garlic Dude dust, the rest of the filling for the peppers and extra sharp cheddar.. Mixed well and into a Pyrex disk with some extra cheese on top. Into the cold smoke side around an hour to get some flavor.
Going in:
DSC09357.jpg

Smoking away:
DSC09354.jpg

Internal temp hit 199 (very quickly) I took it out and let it rest for 30min.
When I opened the foil this is what it became:
DSC09361.jpg

I was worried that it was going to be a lump of charcoal since it was not by any means going to pull apart... Then I sliced it. Possible the best smoke ring of anything I have made yet.

DSC09363.jpg

Peppers done: (always the first thing gone)
DSC09359.jpg

Potatoes done: (these picked up smoke real well and were all eaten.
DSC09365.jpg

This was 100% better than I expected, or anyone of us for that matter. The seasoning was really good and the meat was tender. We actually ate more of this that the roast beef that he made... I am trying this again.

Duke

My Fattie Entry

This might not be the most creative meat to prepare, however for me this is progressing and moving out of the typical BBQ'ing.

Here is my fattie entry,

Cooked at 225 degrees for 3 hours reaching a 170 degree internal temperature.

Eaten on sandwich bread with marinara sauce, I thought this artery clogger was excellent.

Cooked on my MAK2 #503

Duke

smoker pete

Birthday Pulled Pork

You can't go wrong with Pulled Pork! So when my daughter-in-law said she wanted some of my Hickory Smoked Pulled Pork for her Birthday I couldn't refuse!

Slathered two 5 lb Boneless Shoulder Pork Butts with a bountiful amount of Carolina Treet for the glue. Mixed up a fresh batch of Jan's Dry Rub and covered every inch of the Butts.

PorkButt1.jpg

Wrapped the Pork Butts in Plastic Wrap and into the fridge overnight. You want to give the Carolina Treet Cooking Barbecue Sauce and Jan's Dry Rub time to work it's magic. A Cooking Barbecue Sauce is applied before cooking and not during or after the cook.

PorkButt2.jpg

Removed the Pork Butts from the fridge an hour before cooking start time. One of the Pork Butts was coming apart so I used some Silicone Hot Cooking Bands to bind it together. Whenever possible, I like to use multiple probes in each Pork Butt to validate their accuracy. Left Butt @42º and Right Butt @39º.

PorkButt3.jpg

Filled the MAK 2 Star hopper with Gourmet Hickory BBQ Pellets and SETPOINT to 230ºF for the overnight smoke/cook. Into the MAK 2 Star at 3 PM. Put them fat side down. There are many view points about fat-side-up or fat-side-down and I've done them both ways but prefer fat-side-down. I find that it creates a nicer bark.

PorkButt4.jpg

11 PM - 8 hours into the cook and the Left Butt was @165º-167º and the Right Butt @ 163º-165ºF. Time for bed while the Butts cycle through their stall period where all the magic occurs!!

PorkButt5.jpg

Pulled the Left Butt at 6:10 AM when Internal Temperature hit 199ºF. The Right Butt was only @194ºF so I left it in a bit more. Took 15 hours for the Left Butt and 16 hours for the Right Butt. Note that great looking bark on these Pork Butts.

PorkButt6.jpg

Wrapped in Foil, then wrapped in Towel, and into the Cooler (FTC) for 3+ hours. Those Pork Butts were done to perfection and pulled like a dream. I have some of those claws for the pulling but have always preferred to just do it by hand. Check out that beautiful bark and smoke ring!!

PorkButt7.jpg

Pulled Pork sitting in my Digital Crock Pot on the Buffet setting with a shot of Apple Juice to help keep it moist while taking it to my Son's house for some delicious Sammies ...

PorkButt8.jpg

Susan

BBC – Basic Bacon Cheeseburg

Sometimes I regress to my old eating habits and tonight was one of those times. I mixed the ground beef with just a tad of kosher salt, ground black pepper and garlic powder and formed the patties.
09-11-2011burgers001.jpg

Then I put them on the Weber with a foil packet of black walnut pellets.
09-11-2011burgers005.jpg

Just before they were done, I added a slice of cheddar cheese and lightly toasted the Kaiser roll. Here is my artery clogging burger.
09-11-2011burgers007.jpg

The burger was perfectly cooked, medium rare, juicy and more smoke flavor than I anticipated based upon the short cooking time. For a side, I had a dish of zucchini, cooked with onions, fresh tomatoes and basil.
09-11-2011burgers008.jpg

Delish!

sparky

49er fattie

heh, did ya hear? the niners won. ya baby. away we go....

the players.

P9110042.jpg

bacon & tiger sauce.

P9110043.jpg

sausage & 17th spicy.

P9110047.jpg

ham & tabasco.

P9110050.jpg

more goodies.

P9110051.jpg

frogmat & 49er fattie.

P9110052.jpg

put on one of my grills (been along weekend, glad to get back to work).

P9110055.jpg

yummy goodness.

P9110064.jpg

1/2 time eats. my wifes plate.

P9110077.jpg

my plate.

P9110071.jpg

at every single process LL w/P was added. good stuff manard.

Top Bottom