MAK HIGH setting performance

383inTheD

After looking at some of the other posts where people are setting their grill to HIGH to sear meat (like a steak), I question if I am getting the same performance. Today was a nice day weather wise (74 degrees, no wind) so I set out to collect some data.

I started by cleaning the grill (drip pan, empty firepot, etc.) I filled the hopper half up and turned on the Pellet Boss and set it to HIGH. I then set the elapsed timer to start counting. Here's what I'm getting using Perfect Mix.

16 minutes, 320 F
24 minutes, 370 F
30 minutes, 385 F
45 minutes, 395 F

After 45 minutes I was done waiting and went ahead and started cooking (two fillets). After opening the hood the temperature never went back about 385. Does this seem like normal performance?

CarterQ

As others have mentioned pellets are a big factor, the oak based pellets get to higher temps more quickly. Besides cleaning your firepot, make sure all the vents are clean as well, grease can build up in them and reduce airflow.

Rip

I agree about the pellets and cleaning, on my MAK2 I routinely set and have no trouble holding 400+ temps with BBQers Delight Hickory.

Hobbit

What Rip Says, cleanliness and proper pellets make for good high temp cooking. Violates "low and slow" though but highlights the incredible range of the MAK 2 star.

SmokinMAK

383 - I use Bear Mountain pellets for everything - except high heat cooking. For that I use the Traeger Oak pellets. it's the only Traeger pellets I use, but they get hot and stay hot. When a local store has them on sale, I can get 3 bags for $30.

Top Bottom