Prototype 2 Star Quick Change Flame Zone / Drip Pan

CarterQ

Bob sent me this prototype unit a few weeks ago and I have been putting it through its paces, some of you have noticed it and asked questions and a few others around here have them as well. Thought I would share a little about how it works and what it looks like. Keep in mind this is still a prototype.

First it uses a common vented holder for the flame zone and the blank drip pan

18fb6e73.jpg

New flame diffuser which distributes the flame across the flame zone more evenly

84498d6e.jpg

The holder and diffuser in the grill

28b4e6b7.jpg

6cbbf222.jpg

1f0588b3.jpg

The quick change drip pan and full size flame zone inserts

c7116b30.jpg

Drip pan in the grill

d6ad5c79.jpg

Flame zone in

c01314ba.jpg

Existing grates and or sear grate fit right over the top of the drip pan frame

43657fe9.jpg

AS you can tell, even though it is a prototype it is well designed and well built just like everything else from MAK.

So far performance has been great, the full size flame zone is awesome and has even heat across most of the grill surface, really opens up some new possibilities with the 2 star as a wood fired grill.

Using the drip pan I have seen very little difference in performance and one of the great things with the design is that it is almost impossible to get grease down below into the bottom of the grill.

Sor far so good, and I love that the cool new toys still work with the "old timer" grills.

Last edited:

jimsbarbecue

The one I used doesn't look like that. It is closer to black and has all sorts of burned stuff all over it. In fact that looks like you may have scooter's pan! It is a nice feature that new stuff still fit the orginal MAK's

CarterQ

A few things done on the full size flame zone

Just a few things I have done on the full size flame zone so far-

Chicken Tostadas

Marinated some chicken thighs and on the flame zone

1734e26f.jpg

Get great vaporization of juices coming off the meat

fcd3c989.jpg

Nice even grilling across the whole thing

63a6e734.jpg

Ready to go

2f36dd60.jpg

15634d0d.jpg

Little porkchops

b5f061fd.jpg

191b6621.jpg

376354bd.jpg

As Jim pointed out in another thread, burgers are great on the flame zone

Frozen patties on

33991b11.jpg

Again there is great vaporization of fats on this thing so it gives a nice flavor to the meat

fc36d986.jpg

MAK DADDY

Even the pit looks pretty dang clean for an "old timer", I guess I'm just scooters worst nightmare :)
I love your stylin with the beverage holders signature!
Thanks to all the testers for such good feedback, we will be tweaking a few things and getting ready for production so others can enjoy.

MAK DADDY

will the flame zone cover come w/ 1/2 zone pans? if you only want to flame over 1/2 the grill.

Good question! Like Jim said the 2 Star owners can use their original flame zone cover. I will have to figure something out for the 1 Star owners.

Jacque

This looks really interesting. I would like to get one when it is available.

One question? Have you considered recycling for the original stainless steel that these new parts will replace? It seem like a waste to just set them to the side and not use them again!

jimsbarbecue

Actually I have used most of the drip pans that MD has sold or beta tested. they all have a place. The orginal blank style I like better when baking on the MAK for a example.

MAK DADDY

This looks really interesting. I would like to get one when it is available.

One question? Have you considered recycling for the original stainless steel that these new parts will replace? It seem like a waste to just set them to the side and not use them again!

That is a good idea! It will cost more to ship than it will gain in recycle but I would hate to see any in a landfill!
We will work on something to try to keep customers from tossing them.

Top Bottom