Salmon?...

okiesmokie mike

Hey folks, gonna try some salmon Sunday. Any suggestions???
So far chicken, ribs, and burgers all turned out great.
Thanks, okiesmokie mike

squirtthecat

I've seen this a couple different ways...

Last one (which I'm going to try myself) is to run it on Smoke until the IT of the salmon is around 130-135°. There will be white fat coming out on the surface of the fish, so just blot that off.

Pete did some Salmon a while back, perhaps he can dig up the post with his particulars.

okiesmokie mike

well not a lot of suggestions so I was on my own. OMG, it was the best salmon we have ever eaten.
I had a 2.5 lb section of wild Pacific Salmon, brined it for an hour, sat out, patted dry and let sit for another hour. Added MAK fish rub.
Smoked with the MAK 2 Star "on smoke" for ~2hrs. then kicked it up to 225 for last 20 minutes. My of my it was great.
Only thing I would do different would be turn it up to 275 for the last 20 minutes to get it a little hotter since we were eating it then.
Sorry no pics, though it made a super presentation. Still having issues with getting pics posted.

Okiesmokie Mike, and full and happy with the MAK

TentHunter

Awww Mike! Pics man, we need lots of pics in our lives! ;) I'm glad it came out awesome and you enjoyed it. Hot-smoked salmon is soooo good. :)

TentHunter

Here's one to try some time with Salmon:

Make a rub with brown sugar, a good amount of dried dill weed and whatever other seasonings you like (I use a little salt, pepper & red pepper flakes). Coat the top & all sides with it. Rub a little oil on the skin & cook it skin side down.

Do your smoke session for about 30 - 45 minutes, then kick the temp up to 325°-350° and cook it for an additional 35 - 45 minutes. Some folks will say that's too long, but the brown sugar seals the salmon & keeps it from drying out, lets it soak up a little more smoke, and gives a great color.

Oh yeah, Apple wood is a great smoke choice, but any sweet wood (fruit wood, or alder) will work great with this.

MAK DADDY

Sounds wonderful! We get a lot of great comments on the MAK Fish rub for Salmon and Trout.
There are a few Salmon recipes in the MAK cook book from Mr-BBQ as well.

okiesmokie mike

Thanks TH, I copied down your recipe. B4 yesterday I was not a big salmon fan, but sure am now. Will be trying it as many ways as I can find.:D

As far as the pic's, I'll work on that and figure it out b4 the next smoke.

jimsbarbecue

Fish we have found needs about a 325 pit temp to finish. Puts the heat in the meat. The salmon tonight was just rub with some Annie's oil and sprinkle with McCormick Grill Mates Salmon seasoning. If you like a little more kick substitute the Salmon seasoning with BP's Desert Gold. The MAK fish rub is good too. I use it on white flesh fish

Top Bottom