Treager Turkey's

cajun_1

Got 2 10# gobbler's for a Thanksgiving practice run. I have done many on wood smokers and fryers. First time on the BBQ150. Any hints will be appreciated. Thanks, Tim

Phrett Bender

I'd suggest brining, at least one if them since you have 2. I usually start them at a lower temp, 175° or so, to give them some smoke. After an hour or two I'll get them up to 275° and cook until done, tent any areas getting too brown with aluminum foil. I don't have any specific rubs or mops, I change those with each one I do.

Big Poppa

Administrator
OK Im different (really?) I dont brine

The first thinsg is taht you are correct in cooking two smallish birds as opposed to one large one...think about it by the time the center gets to your desired temp the outside has to be overcooked.

Secondly do not use a rub with paprika...it burns too soon and messes with the skin

I now rub with olive oil and sprinkle something like hasty bake greek and cook at 250 until the internal is 165

The second most important thing to to rest your bird for at least 15 minutes. You know the juices that flow out of the cutting board and everybody oohs and aahs and then proceeds to smother the dry breat is gravy? You want it to rest so when you cut into it it doesnt bleed all the juice out

MAK DADDY

I started cooking them at 275 all the way through, best skin/smoke trade off temp for me.
Brine with 1 cup honey, 1 cup salt and water to cover overnight.

SisInLaw

So far I haven't been sold on the brining technique for roasting a turkey--not bad but not any different, either. However, Big Poppa has deep fried a few absolutely awesome turkeys using only a rub and a quick fry that were unreal in the meat's moistness. Shelton turkeys are most excellent.

Big Poppa

Administrator
I did 5 last year on the ABS Pitboss They were pretty good! This year Im going to do them on memphis and mak

cajun_1

Sounds basically the same on a wood smoker. To brine or not to brine : I prefer to brine . To keep them in smoke for a few hours sounds like a good idea.
( thanks Phrett). A rub with no paprika? ( thanks BP) Think I'll have to search for one. All mine have paprika. Well if thinks go correctly this weekend ... I'll smoke some turkeys.

squirtthecat

We don't eat the dark meat, so I only smoke the turkey breast roasts (boulder birds) - but if I was doing a whole bird in my Traeger, I would make a point to rotate it a few times during the cook..

Big Poppa

Administrator
Squirt...I love that idea....THis year in your honor Im going to smoke two whole turkeys and a bunch of breasts.....We will have a Turkey Contest and a Leftover challenge!

sparky

i love turkey. i was going to smoke just turkey breast but both my daughters like dark meat. can never say no to my girls (28 and 23). so its a whole turkey. my son just wants food (21). grandson just likes to hang out with grandpa so he can sip some fat tire. don't tell my daughter. did i read somewhere that is was better to do two small birds instead of one big one. wonder if i could get two small turkeys in my lil tex?

Big Poppa

Administrator
Yes it is. I think two 10 pounders should fit. What you should do is cook them in the disposable half pans and see if two will fit and the see what size turkey you can get in the half pans

Top Bottom