More People need to enter the contest this week! Tent is the judge

Big Poppa

Administrator
Tent coming off of a big time win..He is the Judge...The cook numbers are starting to go down

Lets pump them up this week

First Place 25 Dollar Store Credit to BIg Poppa Smokers the only online store that loves you
second place 15 bucks store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

Third Place 10 bucks store credit to Big Poppa Smokers

everybody else FIVE BUCKS BABY!

sparky

simple but good.

got a couple tri tips. seasoned one w/ LL w/P and the other w/ DDSR. i love these rubs. one on #336 and one on the 49er weber.

P9170001.jpg

P9170002.jpg

P9170007.jpg

P9170005.jpg

P9170008-1.jpg

P9170009-1.jpg

pulled both at 145º and let rest for 15 minutes. plated up w/ some green beans, kettle beans and some moo juice.

P9170018.jpg

it was extremely tasty. i like them both. :)

smoker pete

Pecan Smoked Terriyaki Brined Spatchcock Chicken

Brined a fresh Foster Farms Chicken for 5 ½ hours using the following:

½ Gallon of Water
½ Cup of Sugar
½ Cup of Kosher Salt
1 Cup (8 fl oz) KC Masterpiece Honey Terriyaki Marinade

Spatchcocked the Chicken and rubbed ON/Under the skin with EVOO and Jan's Dry Rub. The menu will include Potato Wedges roasted in the SRG, and Corn on the cob.

TerriyakiBrine1.jpg

Preheated the MAK 2 Star Pellet Smoker-Grill to SMOKE (180º) using Pecan pellets. Inserted the Terriyaki Brined Spatchcock Chicken for 2 hours of Smoke.

TerriyakiBrine2.jpg

The MAK 2 Star produces volumes of Smoke on the SMOKE and other low temperature settings. After 2 hours of Smoke the thickest part of the breast was at 110ºF and I Bumped the temperature to 325ºF until the Internal Temperature reached 165ºF.

TerriyakiBrine3.jpg

While the Terriyaki Brined Spatchcock Chicken was being scrumptiously prepared in the MAK 2 Star, it was time to prep the scrubbed potatoes. Cut the potatoes into wedges and coated them with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO and Johnny's Garlic Spread Seasoning.

TerriyakiBrine4.jpg

I believe it's important for me to document in detail all my cooks so I can better time when to prep and cook the sides and garnishments. After checking my "Little Black Book" I know that the Terriyaki Brined Spatchcock Chicken will take 3 hours ± 15 minutes. Add 20 minutes of resting under a foil tent bringing the total time to ~ 3 ¾ hours.

It will take ~50 minutes for the Potato Wedges to roast in the SRG ... All I need is some simple math to determine when to insert the spuds in. The Infrared SRG does not require preheating but I just can't bring myself not to. Set the SRG on HIGH with the Lid Open. 15 minutes later I closed the lid for 5 minutes to brown the tater wedges a bit. Finished the Potato Wedges with the Lid Open.

TerriyakiBrine5.jpg

After 2 hours of Smoke @180ºF, it took another hour and 5 minutes @325ºF for the IT to reach 165ºF. Here's the golden brown Pecan Smoked Terriyaki Brined Spatchcock Chicken before being tented under foil for 20 minutes.

TerriyakiBrine7.jpg

Potato Wedges turned out great along with the Corn on the cob, which took 25 minutes from start to finish using the Camp Chef Triple Burner Stove.

TerriyakiBrine8.jpg

The money $shot ... A golden Pecan Smoked Terriyaki Brined Spatchcocked Chicken Leg, Thigh, and Wing Drumette with an ear of Corn and a side of Potato Wedges ... Man-Oh-Man - was it ever exquisite and the entire meal was prepared outside in 98ºF weather keeping the house cool!! ... Bon Appétit

TerriyakiBrine9.jpg

smoker pete

Brine-Cured Smoked Pork Loin Chops

These days Pork is reared to be so lean that flavor brining is a great way to improve the flavor, texture, and moisture content. This can be achieved by curing the meat in a moderately salty solution for a few hours to a few days. This recipe is fantastic and really makes meat juicy and subtly-spiced/flavored. It acts as a marinade and a cure at the same time, producing Pork Chops a bit like a mild ham.

Brine:

2 Cups of Water
½ Cup Morton Tender Quick
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1 tsp Onion Powder

Mix ingredients. Place Pork Loin covered with the brine in the refrigerator for 36 hours. Remove the Pork Loin from the brine and rinse. At this point it's extremely important to soak the Pork Loin in fresh water for 2 hours. The soaking makes the difference between a tolerable salty meal and an excellent meal.

CuredLoin1.jpg

Preheated the MAK 2 Star Grill to 200ºF using Hickory pellets. Hickory smoke the Pork Loin until the Internal meat Temperature reaches 150ºF.

CuredLoin2.jpg

Took 4 hours and 15 minutes at 200ºF for the IT to reach 150ºF. Allowed the Pork Loin to rest and cool before placing it in the fridge overnight. When Hot smoked to 150º the Pork Loin is fully cooked.

CuredLoin3.jpg

Cut the Pork Loin into about ¾ inch Pork Chops. Placed half the Pork Chops in the freezer for a later meal and chose to grill the other Cured Hickory Smoked Pork Loin Chops for dinner.

CuredLoin4.jpg

Since the Cured Hickory Smoked Pork Loin Chops are fully cooked I just had to re-warm them on the grill and didn't need to worry about cooking them. After all the work I decided not to season and/or sauce the chops. Doing so would change the flavor.

CuredLoin5.jpg

The money $shot ... Hickory Smoked Brine-Cured Pork Loin Chops, Mash Potatoes with Brown Gravy, a small Salad, and a piece of Garlic Bread ... The Chops were exquisite - it's hard to beat that mild ham flavor - makes for a nice change!! ... Bon Appétit

CuredLoin6.jpg

Deb

working on filling the freezer and need to do some food gifts - so - pork butts again

early this morning put a couple butts in the grill - nothing fancy - just little louie's w pepper and soileaus cajun rub, a little while before foiling
photo-42-2.jpg

while the butts were getting happy I simmered some beans and then mixed up with Boston Baked Bean ingredients (I use bacon ends instead of salt pork).
photo-41-1.jpg

foiled butts & beans:
photo-43-2.jpg

the butts came out and cornbread and apple crisp went in
photo-45-2.jpg

dinner
photo-47.jpg

dessert
photo-46-1.jpg

enjoy

Susan

Braciole

The morning started with making the sauce. I used a large can of petite diced tomatoes, fresh oregano, basil, lots of fresh garlic, a bit of tomato paste and some diced sun dried tomatoes. I love the depth of flavor they add to a sauce and felt they would stand up nicely with the beef. I seasoned it with some salt, pepper and bit of red wine and let it simmer.
09-24-2011001.jpg

09-24-2011002.jpg

Next up was the preparation of the stuffing. I used Italian seasoned bread crumbs and added grated Romano cheese, grated provolone, fresh garlic, diced sun dried tomato, ground black pepper, kosher salt and glued it together with Annie’s Basil evoo.
09-24-2011003.jpg

I pounded out the flank steak and laid down a layer of prosciutto, and topped that with the stuffing and rolled the beef and secured it. I seasoned the outside of the meat with kosher salt and black pepper.
09-24-2011004.jpg

The rolled meat went on to the Weber with Red Wine soaked oak pellets to slow cook with some smoke and charcoal flavor and then I transferred the meat to a Dutch oven with the sauce and left it to simmer slowly and diffuse all the flavors.
09-24-2011005.jpg

09-24-2011007.jpg

And my plated photo.
09-24-2011015.jpg

This was a delicious dinner. The meat was tender, moist and infused with flavor. The sauce was bursting with richness and perfectly complemented the beef.
Thanks for looking.

smokerjoe

MAK Donairs with Homemade Pitas

First time making pitas and they turned out great. (I'm not a baker by any means)

Pitas
IMG_5315.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5387.JPG

IMG_5397.JPG

IMG_5402.JPG

Donair Meat
IMG_5339.JPG

IMG_5348.JPG

IMG_5362.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

Chili Head

Sirloin Kabobs with Chimichurri sauce and Portobello Pasta Bowls

I'm bringing to the table a Sirloin Kabob with Chimichurri sauce, portabello pasta bowls and apple crisp and ice cream for dessert.

002-2.jpg

First off I started with the apple crisp. I peeled and cored about ten apples and then quartered them. Next I layered them in a buttered 9 X 13 baking pan covering the entire bottom of the pan.

005-2.jpg

I used a pre made apple crisp mix for this. I mixed a 1/4 cup of melted unsalted butter to the mix and mixed it until all the butter was obsorbed and the mix became crumbly.

006-3.jpg

Then I covered the apples with the mix and put it into the MAK burning oak pellets at 380º for 40 minutes.

007-3.jpg

While the apple crisp was getting happy in the MAK I started on prepping the portabellos and tomatoes for the pasta bowls.

Using a teaspoon I gently scraped the gills out of the bottom of the mushroom caps.
Then I lightly rinsed them and patted them dry with paper towls. Once dry I brushed them with EVOO and sprinkled some of BP's double secret steak rub on them. The tomatoes were halved and de-seeded then brushed with EVOO and then a dusting of fresh ground pepper and ground sea salt was applied.

008-3.jpg

015-3.jpg

014-3.jpg

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

Next up is the chimichurri sauce.

3/4 cup finely chopped fresh italian parsley
1/3 cup EVOO
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped onion
1-2 chopped jalapenos
1 TB chopped garlic
1 ts dried oregano
1/2 ts kosher salt
1/4 ts ground black pepper

In a small blender or food proccesor mix all the ingredients until the mix blends well. Then cover it and set it aside at room temperature until needed. This gives the flavors a chance to meld together.

009-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

By this time the apple crisp was ready to come out of the MAK and cool.

012-3.jpg

Things are smelling good now !!

Next I cranked the MAK up to 450º and put on the portabellos and tomatoes. The extra sirloin and some veggies went on as well. I call these "Chef Samples" :p

016-3.jpg

Once the portabellos, tomatoes and the "Chef Samples" came off it was time to put on the Kabobs. I scooted the flame zone cover over and places a grill grate over the flame zone.

017-2.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

018-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

While the kabobs were doing their thing I made the spinach pasta and a tomato dressing for the portabellos.

For the dressing I used the grilled tomatoes coarsely chopped. In a small proccessor I added:
grilled tomatoes
1/4 cup of EVOO
The juice of 1/2 lemon
1 ts of fresh oregano
1/2 ts kosher salt
1/2 ts ground pepper

Blend the ingredients until they are mixed well. I wish I had taken pictures of this step but I didnt.

Place a portabello on a plate, put some pasta on top of the portabello and add some of the tomato dressing then sprinkle some fresh oregano on top. Place some sliced tomato on the plate, add your kabob and chimichurri sauce and enjoy!

Add a frosty glass of your favorite adult beverage and you have a meal!

024-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

028-3.jpg

Now who wants dessert?? ;)

Continued..

Last edited:

Chili Head

Dessert was apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.

030-2.jpg

Whoo I'm stuffed!

The kabobs were cooked to a beautiful medium rare to medium and were so juicy! The savory taste of the chimichurri sauce with its tangyness complimented the beef perfectly.
The wife liked the chimichurri so much she dressed the leftover pasta with it and will be eating that for lunch tomorrow :cool: The leftover sirloin must be for me! ;) The portabello was cooked until tender but not mushy and it went well with BP's double secret steak rub. With the portabello's richness it could have easily been the main course of the meal. The apple crisp and ice cream ..well it rocked!

I hope you enjoy looking as much as I enjoyed showing you :D

Last edited:

Deb

It would probably not come as a surprise that I spend some time thinking about food..... this idea has been in my head for awhile, I decided it was time to actually do it.......

I took some ground turkey, mixed it up with my usual turkey meatloaf ingredients and into a gallon bag to make it square, spread the cranberry sauce on and then a layer of cornbread stuffing I made earlier in the day

photo-41-2.jpg

then rolled it up into a thanksgiving fatty

the cranberry sauce was a little watery so I had drained a little of the juice off and mixed with some maple sugar. this went into a halved acorn squash (i got started late so I par cooked the squash in the microwave)

everybody in the grill

photo-43-3.jpg

the results - thanksgiving fatty, acorn squash with cranberry glaze, mashed potatoes and gravy

photo-42-3.jpg

I'm thinking it's almost time to start prepping for thanksgiving:cool:

Duke

Chicken Cordon Bleu / for the week ending 09/25/2011

My entry is Chicken Cordon Bleu.

To get the same swirl effect achieved by rolling the chicken around the ham and cheese, I simply rolled the ham slices into cylinders around the cheese and tucked the cylinders into each chicken breast. Adding a healthy dose of Dijon mustard to the egg wash boosted the flavor of our Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe, Using Ritz crackers for the breading on the chicken.

Setting MAK2 #503 to a cooking temperature of 400 degrees

For a internal temp of 170 degrees.

Thanks to all,

Duke

Rip

Farewell to Summer - Pretzel Dogs

One last 'Picnic' meal to bid summer a fond farewell, the weather even cooperated with a sunny day. Pretzel dogs, baked beans, and cole slaw.
IMG_2601sm.jpg

Started off with the beans (baked beans, brown sugar, ketchup, onions) on the MAK at 225 for a nice simmer while I prepped the dogs. Then up to 380 and move the baked beans to the warming drawer.
IMG_2603sm.jpg

Looking good!
IMG_2604sm.jpg

IMG_2605sm.jpg

Where's that cold beer...uh, i mean glass of milk!
IMG_2609sm.jpg

roburado

So, De Bebe said earlier this week, let's do a brisket this weekend. I was busy Saturday. So, what was left was Sunday. I did get to pick it up last night, though. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to it earlier. So, here I am starting in the early afternoon. Hopefully, it won't take forever. It's only 3.8 lbs. So, hopefully, it won't take 12 hours or something. Going to go with the Texas Crutch with my own version of some foil love.

Started off with some garlic EVOO glue. Then, I rubbed with some cayenne and the BPS DSSR and Little Louie's.
IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1940.jpg

On to the MAK at 250F with fat side up. Here it is as I'm nearing 150F.
IMG_1944.jpg

Did some Texas Crutch action using some reconstituted beef bouillon; Worcestershire; fish sauce; soy sauce and calamansi for some Filipino flair.
IMG_1936.jpg

FTC ended up being FTM in the microwave.

Here it is!
IMG_1952.jpg

Holy smoke ring!
IMG_1955.jpg

All sliced up for eating and for storage.
IMG_1958.jpg

De Bebe's plate with her squash steamed with orange juice, salt, pepper, and butter. She loved the meal! :D That's the best part! :D
IMG_1959.jpg

Top Bottom