Question for Plowboy.....OK Two.... OK 5.....Thanks

Big Poppa

Administrator
A syou may have noticed last night Todd Johns Aka Plowboy joined the forum. It is an honor as I consider him to be right at the top of the heap of pitmasters.

Todd I love Plowboys. As you know I used it on Pitmasters and we use it in comp. (1st third and 1st last three contest in butts)

How did you come up with it?

Why do people use Yardbird with pork? I know we do...Did you? Were you suprised that people use it that way?

Your most recent batches do not contain MSG and people are winning just as much. I appreciate that as 99% oof california is allergic to msg....What brought that about?

Any tips on Bovine or Yardbirds you'd like to give us?

Plowboy

That is going to take some time for me to compile an answer. I'll check back in when I have some time and write something up.

Big Poppa

Administrator
Hey you dont hoave to just curious and these poeple are fans....and they might even buy some! They even may buy some boy scout stuff....

Pete

I've got some yardbird at home that's going on a pork shoulder tomorrow night! Why does it taste so good?!?!?

Big Poppa

Administrator
No Todd's BBQ Team is Pork Pullin Plowboys....google them They are one of the best teams in the world....(Now where is my discount on the next order Todd?)

HoDeDo

I have to say I have the honor of getting 1st place chicken right out of the gate with my Yardbird rub, right out of the gate at launch. Heck I think I may have still been using a pre-production bottle. 1st Place Yardbird at the Great American BBQ, and the rest is history :) It's definitely part of my winning equation.

What you may not know is Yardbird is best on Popcorn!!!! (and of course it pairs amazingly well with Smoke on Wheels marinades) lol

Plowboy

So, I'm WAAAAAYYY overdue on responding. Three classes and thanksgiving in five weeks made November a busy month.

Our team started in 2001. We went to a cooking class as we started. At that class, they had you come up with your own rub. We got a basic template and a full lineup of ingredients. Our chicken rub was what is now known as Yardbird. At that class, we won chicken in the post class contest. We thought we were onto something. Over the next few years, we used the homemade rub on and off. Then in 2007, Randy (my BIL and co-Plowboys founder) wanted to a product he could put in his vending trailer and sell along side BBQ sandwiches. We only had one recipe, the rub that we made six years prior. I researched bottles, labels, and ingredients. For the first year, I made every bottle of the product myself. At the point when I had to make 144 shakers in one week... that was the point were I couldn't do it myself. In 2010, we'll produce over seven tons of product. Plowboys has come a long way, baby.

Three things launched Yardbird in a big, big way. First, the BBQ Brethren community embraced us. The word of mouth was viral. This was back before a lot of people were doing products. Not like today. Second, we placed 1st in Hot Rub, 2nd Mild Rub, 2nd Overall Rub, and 2nd place overall product at the Great American in 2007. The product had only been out two weeks. Finally, at the 2007 Great American BBQ contest, Andy Groneman of Smoke on Wheels won chicken using our rub. At that point, we were on the map.

Because it was our chicken rub, we called it Yardbird. We only used it on chicken and fish. Then, when we started using it on other cuts, we found that it was an even better pork rub. That is why the label says, "Created for chicken, but MADE for pork."

Hope this answers some of your questions. I appreciate everyone who supports us. We are not some corporate machine. We are a family company and profits support our family.

KimG SOW

Yardbird is our season-all! We use it on EVERYTHING! Like Andy said, Popcorn, eggs, potatoes, pastas, fish.... the list just keeps going. We love all of Plowboy's rubs!

scooter

The wife asked me what I'd like to find in my Christmas stocking last year so I told her to stuff some Yardbird in it. I didn't know it had MSG in it until I got it an read the ingredients. I can't cook with MSG as the wife is sensitive to it. I expressed my concern to Todd and he graciously refunded the cost.
Was browsing the rub racks of my local B&M BBQ store some weeks ago and was ecstatic to see that Todd has removed the MSG from his retail rubs! I purchased his NO MSG Yardbird and Bovine Bold on the spot. Recently went back and bought The Jerk. Will be trying it on some ribs today.
Thanks Todd!
What did you envision The Jerk being used on principally? Some tips on how to use it would be appreciated!

Top Bottom