Sirloin Kabobs with a Portobello pasta bowl

Chili Head

Tonight I made sirloin kabobs and portobello pasta bowls. It turned out so good!

002-2.jpg

First off I started with the apple crisp. I peeled and cored about ten apples and then quartered them. Next I layered them in a buttered 9 X 13 baking pan covering the entire bottom of the pan.

005-2.jpg

I used a pre made apple crisp mix for this. I mixed a 1/4 cup of melted unsalted butter to the mix and mixed it until all the butter was obsorbed and the mix became crumbly.

006-3.jpg

Then I covered the apples with the mix and put it into the MAK burning oak pellets at 380º for 40 minutes.

007-3.jpg

While the apple crisp was getting happy in the MAK I started on prepping the portabellos and tomatoes for the pasta bowls.

Using a teaspoon I gently scraped the gills out of the bottom of the mushroom caps.
Then I lightly rinsed them and patted them dry with paper towls. Once dry I brushed them with EVOO and sprinkled some of BP's double secret steak rub on them. The tomatoes were halved and de-seeded then brushed with EVOO and then a dusting of fresh ground pepper and ground sea salt was applied.

008-3.jpg

015-3.jpg

014-3.jpg

Continued..

Chili Head

Next up is the chimichurri sauce.

3/4 cup finely chopped fresh italian parsley
1/3 cup EVOO
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup chopped onion
1-2 chopped jalapenos
1 TB chopped garlic
1 ts dried oregano
1/2 ts kosher salt
1/4 ts ground black pepper

In a small blender or food proccesor mix all the ingredients until the mix blends well. Then cover it and set it aside at room temperature until needed. This gives the flavors a chance to meld together.

009-2.jpg

011-3.jpg

By this time the apple crisp was ready to come out of the MAK and cool.

012-3.jpg

Things are smelling good now !!

Next I cranked the MAK up to 450º and put on the portabellos and tomatoes. The extra sirloin and some veggies went on as well. I call these "Chef Samples" :p

016-3.jpg

Once the portabellos, tomatoes and the "Chef Samples" came off it was time to put on the Kabobs. I scooted the flame zone cover over and places a grill grate over the flame zone.

017-2.jpg

continued..

Chili Head

018-3.jpg

019-3.jpg

While the kabobs were doing their thing I made the spinach pasta and a tomato dressing for the portabellos.

For the dressing I used the grilled tomatoes coarsely chopped. In a small proccessor I added:
grilled tomatoes
1/4 cup of EVOO
The juice of 1/2 lemon
1 ts of fresh oregano
1/2 ts kosher salt
1/2 ts ground pepper

Blend the ingredients until they are mixed well. I wish I had taken pictures of this step but I didnt.

Place a portabello on a plate, put some pasta on top of the portabello and add some of the tomato dressing then sprinkle some fresh oregano on top. Place some sliced tomato on the plate, add your kabob and chimichurri sauce and enjoy!

Add a frosty glass of your favorite adult beverage and you have a meal!

024-2.jpg

025-2.jpg

028-3.jpg

Now who wants dessert?? ;)

Continued..

Chili Head

Dessert was apple crisp with vanilla ice cream.

030-2.jpg

Whoo I'm stuffed!

The kabobs were cooked to a beautiful medium rare to medium and were so juicy! The savory taste of the chimichurri sauce with its tangyness complimented the beef perfectly.
The wife liked the chimichurri so much she dressed the leftover pasta with it and will be eating that for lunch tomorrow :cool: The leftover sirloin must be for me! ;) The portabello was cooked until tender but not mushy and it went well with BP's double secret steak rub. With the portabello's richness it could have easily been the main course of the meal. The apple crisp and ice cream ..well it rocked!

I hope you enjoy!

Last edited:

ACW3

CH,
That looks really good. As a member of the clean plate club, you earned your dessert. Great cook!

Art

sparky

wow, that looks real good. heh CH, you a chef? you make some really cool stuff. wished you lived in california. :(

Chili Head

No sir I'm not a chef. Not a trained chef anyway :D
I got the idea for this meal from a co worker. A couple days ago she saw the portabello recipe in a magazine and ripped the page out and gave it to me. She said "I thought of you when I saw this!" hmm does she think the recipe would be good or does she think I'm full of $hit. :)
Anyway I told her I would make it for the weekly contest.
I just had to figure out what to pair with it that wouldn't take away from the complexities of the flavors in the portabello. I'm roaming around the grocery store at 3:00 am Saturday after work looking at the meat counter and the sirloin kabobs with just red and yellow tomatoes came to mind. It was good! Really good! One recipie I'll do again for sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokeyjd

that's grillin with the end in mind. i will try to remember to cook dessert before the dinner. is that a wire skewer or is it braided cable you are using a skewer?

Chili Head

The skewer is stainless cable. Their called FireWire skewers. You can get them from BP or a few other places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TentHunter

Firewire sewers are great! I love that you can leave the handle hanging outside the grill so it doesn't get hot while your food grills.

Top Bottom