What to do with Leftover Bones?

TentHunter

There's been a few threads recently about spare rib trimmings and what to do with them.

This is a similar topic.

About a month ago I posted a thread where we made up 44 lbs of homemade kielbasa for the H.S. Band cookout. See those pork shoulder bones?
2011BC01.JPG

So, what's a person to do with them? After all, I paid the same $1.49 for those bones as I did for the meat. NO WAY was I going to toss almost 10 lbs of bones worth $15 into the trash can!

One idea: Turn them into soup bones and/or treats for the pooch. And it's easy to do!

When we trimmed them we purposely didn't worry about getting every bit of meat off. I made up a simple ham brine from Filtered Water Pickling Salt, Brown Sugar & Cure #1. The bones went in to wet cure for about a day and a half.
PB01.JPG

Out of the brine to drain and air dry for an hour or so to form a pellicle and on to cold smoke for 5 or 6 hours with some hickory pellets.
I%20paid%20the%20same%20$1.49%20per%20lb%20for%20the%20bones%20as%20I%20did%20for%20the%20meat.%20NO%20WAY%20was%20I%20going%20to%20throw%20almost%2010%20lbs%20of%20bones%20worth%20$15%20Bucks%20in%20the%20trash%20can%21%21%21
PB02.JPG

Then, throw them onto the pellet smoker to continue hot-smoking at about 225°-250° for another 4+ hours until cooked and starting to dry out just a bit.
PB03.JPG

On a wire rack to cool down (Sorry the pic's a little out of focus).
PB04.JPG

Sundae sure thought they smelled good! :)
PB05.JPG

The Mrs. sure didn't waste any time using one of them that very afternoon in a pot of potatoes & green beans. They imparted a great smoky flavor and there was plenty of meat left on that bone to pick off for the beans.
PB06.JPG

After the bone was removed and cooled down, Lucy (our Jack Russel) had her turn and she picked that thing clean!

Thanks for sneaking a peak!

ACW3

I can almost smell and taste those green beans and potatoes! I need to go eat dinner. I have some kielbasa from NEPAS waiting in the kitchen. Good eats!

Art

Top Bottom