Pulled pork tacos with home made tortillas. Peach and berry pie for dessert

Chili Head

Here's the ingredients..

007.jpg

027.jpg

I started this off by slathering the butt with yellow mustard and then rubbing it down with Mas Guapo seasoning.

001.jpg

002.jpg

Into the MAK set on smoke for 30 minutes burning a mix of apple and cherry pellets. Once the butt got up to 160º I wrapped it in foil and added some apple cider then I let it go until I got off work friday night. I set the pellet boss to run at 245º until the internal temp got to 200º then back down to smoke to hold it until I got home from work.

003.jpg

005.jpg

Next up was the peach and raspberry pie.

I skinned and sliced 4 cups of peaches and placed them in a bowl with a cup of raspberries. Next I sprinkled 1/2 cup of sugar on them and tossed them to get them all covered with the sugar. Next I took another 1/4 cup of sugar and added 2 ts of ground cinnamon and stirred it together. Place the peaches and berries in a pie crust and add 2 ts of butter and the remaining sugar and cinnamon on top. I added the top crust, cut some slits in it and it went into the MAK at 405º for 45 minutes burning peach pellets.

008-1.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

011.jpg

continued...

Chili Head

While the pie was cooking I got the pico de gallo and adobo sauce ready for the tacos.

I diced some onion, jalapeno, red and yellow tomato, cilantro, pinch of salt and the juice of 1/2 a lime and mixed it all together. I covered it and let it rest in the fridge for an hour.

012.jpg

Next up was the adobo sauce. After cutting the stems off the peppers I put the peppers and the juice of 1/2 a lime into a processor seeds and all and puréed it until smooth.

013.jpg

The pie is done!!

014.jpg

Time to make some tortillas!

All you need is 5 cups of flour, 2 TS shortning, 2 ts baking powder, 1/4 ts of salt and
1 1/2 cups of boiling water. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add the water slowly mixing it with your hands until you make a soft dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth.

017.jpg

Lubricate the top of the dough with oil and let stand in the bowl for 10 minutes. Then pinch enough dough to make golf ball sized dough balls.

019.jpg

This was my first time making tortillas and I didnt have a press so I tried to improvise by using two cast iron skillets. The plan was to sandwich a dough ball between plastic wrap and mash the dough between the bottom of the two skillets. It didnt work out so well lol. I couldnt put enough pressure on the top pan to spread the dough the way I wanted. Well now I know ;)

018.jpg

I ended up rolling them out with a rolling pin.

021.jpg

022.jpg

Not too shabby!!

continued..

Chili Head

After rolling the tortillas I heated up some pulled pork. One pan was just pork and the other pan I added some adobo sauce. Boy did this turn out great!

016.jpg

015.jpg

While the pork was heating I placed the tortillas into a 450º pre heated iron skillet on the MAK.

026.jpg

Once bubbled and starting to turn brown it was time to flip them.

a338dae7.jpg

Into the warming drawer.

79361b43.jpg

There not as pretty as store bought but they are good! And have character LOL :cool:

continued..

Chili Head

OK lets make some tacos!!

What you're looking at in the bowls on the right are adobo sauce in the top, sour cream in center and the pico de gallo in the bottom bowl. The large plate has some sliced avocado, refried beans with cheese and a couple of pulled pork tacos. Of course some jalapenos were added as well :cool:
There is also an ice cold margarita to wash it down with :p

041.jpg

039.jpg

044.jpg

Pie anyone?? ;)

Whooo we're getting stuffed now!

054.jpg

048.jpg

I added some fresh berries and a couple slices of peach to the plate as well.

I gotta say..this was one of my top 2 pork butts I have done. So juicy and tender I just couldnt get enough of it. The Mas Guapo seasoning added a zesty flavor and zip to the pork. The tortillas although not pretty and round were every bit as good as store bought. I'll have a tortilla press next time. That would have saved me almost 45 minutes of rolling them out. The tacos I believe were the best I have made to date. My parents and the wife loved them! It dosent get any better than that!
The peach and berry pie was the perfect compliment to this diner with the fresh fruit.
It was so refreshing!

Please enjoy!

ACW3

Great job CH! I couldn't help but think that the MAK griddle would have come in real handy for doing those tortillas. I loved my iron frying pans, but they have their place.

Art

Chili Head

ACW3 if I had a MAK griddle I could do some serious damage 
It's on my to get list..I do have a birthday coming up :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky

i just looked at this post again. wow one more time. i got to move to east central illinois. i will bring the FT. you cook. i'll do dishes. sounds good. ;)

TentHunter

That right there is oneof my favorite pies; Peach Melba. And boy does yours ever look good!

Nice job with the homemade tortillas too!

Top Bottom