Beer Bread Recipe

CarterQ

Big Poppa asked me to post the recipe for beer bread, so here it is:

Ingredients-

3 cups self-rising flour sifted (3 cups of sifted all purpose flour can be used with 3tsp baking powder and 1 tsp salt)

1/2 cup sugar

12 ounces beer (warm)

1/4 cup melted butter

Instructions-

1.) Preheat smoker to 350 degrees.
2.) Mix dry ingredients and beer.
3.) Place dough into a greased loaf pan.
4.) Pour melted butter over mixture.
5.) Bake 1 hour, remove from pan and cool for at least 15 minutes.

Variations: this recipe makes a hearty crust bread, if you prefer softer crust mix melted butter in with the mix before baking.

Different beers will give different results, play around to find the beer you like. In my experience light beers do not work as well as traditional beers.

Add anything to spice it up! I have tried different cheeses, increased sugar with cinnamon and pumpkin beer etc. Your only limitation is your imagination.

Last edited:

Ssteppe

I've tried this recipe twice (once with a beer out of the fridge and again with a room temperature beer), and both times it foamed up so much, there seemed to be very little liquid left - it definitely wasn't "pourable".

Would it be better if the beer were flat to avoid the foaming?

txpgapro

I like to add 3 cups of cubed jalapeño cheese and 3 cups of grated cheddar cheese. I love to use golden wheat beer too.

CarterQ

I've tried this recipe twice (once with a beer out of the fridge and again with a room temperature beer), and both times it foamed up so much, there seemed to be very little liquid left - it definitely wasn't "pourable".

Would it be better if the beer were flat to avoid the foaming?

Probably should change it from pour to place, when all mixed up it should be a sticky dough. As for the foam thats just the reaction of beer with the baking soda. Mine foams up and and it mix it in, you will want some gas bubbles in the mix to give the bread some airiness. Don't know how flat beer would work. How have your previous 2 attempts come out?

Phrett Bender

A few days ago I watched a show re: cooking with molasses and they made a bread in a coffee can, thick and dense. I wish I had kept the recipie!

CarterQ

I've seen the coffee can bread recipe before as well, I think it was in a backpacking cookbook. Iv'e seen it called various things but if it had molasses and honey it might be Logan bread.

Deb

A few days ago I watched a show re: cooking with molasses and they made a bread in a coffee can, thick and dense. I wish I had kept the recipie!

Phrett - was it brown bread? It's an old recipe. I haven't made it for awhile. I remember it always being served with hot dogs & baked beans.

Ssteppe

Probably should change it from pour to place, when all mixed up it should be a sticky dough. As for the foam thats just the reaction of beer with the baking soda. Mine foams up and and it mix it in, you will want some gas bubbles in the mix to give the bread some airiness. Don't know how flat beer would work. How have your previous 2 attempts come out?

Just seemed like it was all foam - hardly any liquid. Batter was very thick. The bread was OK, but I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be different or not. I'll try flat beer next time to see if it makes a difference.

Top Bottom