Half and Half Chicken

smoker pete

Have you seen the price difference between a whole Chicken and a Chicken cut in half at your local grocery store? I noticed yesterday that there was a 20¢ difference ... Outrageous ... How hard is it to cut a Chicken in Half? Not very! Saved me almost a $1 on this 4.6lb Foster Farms Fresh Chicken. Removed the backbone with Poultry Sheers and voilá - you have two Chicken Halves. Took less than 3 minutes. Saved the Chicken Liver and Heart to sauté for a snack.

HalfChicken1-1.jpg

Used 1½ Cups of Mr Yoshidas Marinade & Cooking Sauce to 3 cups of water in the Marinade Express for 30 minutes to marinade the Chicken halves. Rested the Chicken in the fridge for 2 hours to help intensify the flavor.

HalfChicken2.jpg

Preheated the MAK 2 Star Grill to 180ºF using Hickory pellets. Setpoint to SMOKE and placed the Chicken Halves in the MAK for 2 hours of smoke before bumping the temperature up to 325ºF. Decided to smoke/cook the Chicken halves skin side up and down to see the results.

HalfChicken3.jpg

Coated Potato Wedges with Annie's Roasted Garlic EVOO, Garlic Salt, Pepper, and Johnny's Garlic Spread Seasoning to roast in the Char-Broil The Big Easy Infrared Smoker, Roaster and Grill (SRG).

HalfChicken4.jpg

After smoking the Chicken halves for 2 hours with Hickory I bumped the MAK 2 Star temperature to 325ºF until the Internal Temperature reached 170ºF at the thickest part of the breast. Placed the Potato Wedges in the SRG on HIGH with the lid Open for an hour and 10 minutes. You can see the SRG in the background to the left.

HalfChicken5.jpg

Skin Up vs Skin Down ... Didn't find any real differences. Both smoked/cooked at the same rate and turned out golden brown and scrumptious! Rested the Chicken under a foil tent for 15 minutes before serving.

HalfChicken7.jpg

The Infrared SRG not only cooks Poultry to perfection but does a great job on a multitude of other items which include Baked and Wedge Potatoes. The SRG didn't disappoint and the Potato Wedges were a hit.

HalfChicken8.jpg

The money $shot ... A savory Chicken Leg, Thigh, Wing, and Potato Wedges served with a side of corn ... Bon Appétit

HalfChicken9.jpg

The Yoshida in conjunction with the Marinade Express worked out great providing a moderate flavor.

sparky

that looks great. nice color to the chicken. heh, whats that SRG thinging? you cook all kinds of stuff in it.

smoker pete

that looks great. nice color to the chicken. heh, whats that SRG thinging? you cook all kinds of stuff in it.

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes cause I'm talking about the SRG but it's an Infrared Smoker, Roaster and Grill (SRG) from Char-Broil. It's powered by propane and it's an upgrade from the original Big Easy oil free Turkey fryer. Since I have the MAK 2 Star and the Bradley I never use the SRG to smoke with but it does provide a measure of versatility. PM me if I can answer anymore questions. There are many members on this forum and other forums that you know who have one :)

Top Bottom