pork butt journey

sparky

well. remember when i went on a rib quest? i must have cooked hundred or so racks of ribs until i found some i really, really like. i believe i have it down now. every time i cook ribs i can knock it out of the park. i like that. ok, back to the pt. i am now on a pork butt quest. most every time i cook a pork butt i still don't have it down. yes they all taste ok but none have wow'ed me. once again i have used most rubs on them and not found what makes me happy yet. we all have different cook temps and times. i am still experimenting w/ that alot. because the maks smoke so much i can start most cooks at 225º and cook from there. smoke setting then then go to cooking temp or just starting at 225º or 240º is all relative i guess. welp, on w/ our show. (sorry for talking so much, baileys and espresso is very good in the morning. i say have 3 to start. more better, plus its saturday morning and everyone is asleep).

cooked thursday and finished on friday more or less. i have always liked LL w/P on my ribs. heh, try it on some pork butt. okie dokie, i will.

PA010087.jpg

onto #63 @ 225º. nighty nite buddy.

PA010093.jpg

next morning i wrapped w/ foil and apple juice at 170º (more experimenting) and keep going.

PA020001-1.jpg

at 195º time for some rest and cooler time.

ready to pull. all set up.

PA020009.jpg

PA020016.jpg

last night i fried up some onions, garlic, bell peppers and mushrooms.

PA040016.jpg

added my favorite spices to the veges.

PA040022.jpg

threw in some pork butt and 1/2 bottle of bbg habanero red sauce to the veges.

PA040030.jpg

time to eat.

PA040034.jpg

all i can say is yummy. it was a fantastic meal. i even impressed myself. the flavors were very good.

PA040038.jpg

okie dokie the quest continues. i have 3 more butts to cook this weekend. lets have some fun.

Last edited:

Chili Head

Yeah buddy nice job !! I would hammer that!

The butt i cooked last week was one of my best so far. Instead of apple juice when you foil your next butt try apple cider instead. Let me know how you like it :D
I use fruit wood when I do butts also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sparky

you mean apple cider juice or apple cider vinegar? i will try it. going to butcher to get 3 more pork butts. :)

HogSmoker

Everything you cook looks good Sparky. I have yet to smoke a butt on my MAK going too soon. I need to research post like yours to get a ideal on how to do this. My OLD way was up at 2am wood and charcoal water pan underneath the butt and 12-14 hrs of hard labor later it was done. And I would always swear it would be my last one I'd ever do because of the constant tending especially in the fall when the weather had turned cool.

sparky

Glad to see you have a new quest! Two thumbs up Garth :)

thanks buddy. ya, its good to have a new quest in life. there are so many ways to cook pork butts. way more variables than ribs. rubs, inject or not, temps (smoke > 225º or 225º or 240º the entire way), foil at 160 or so, or let cook dry the entire cook. should be fun. and you can do so many more things w/ pork butts. ya ho to me. time for some winter zen quest. tubular dude. ;)

you go garth!!!

Top Bottom